DNS & Intersite Messenger services wont start automatically

Having an odd problem. We have a Windows 2008 R2 Standard server running the following roles: AD, DNS, File Server, Hyper-V. The server is an HP DL360 G5.

Whenever the server reboots, DNS and Intersite Messaging will not start automatically, even though they are set to do so. This problem has started occurring within the last month. I can manually start these services just fine. Someone in another thread suggested I set them to "Automatic (Delayed)" start, and when I do they also eventually start. However, though this solves the most critical problem, it still generates errors upon boot up because AD goes a little wonky when it can't determine the namespace.

The error logs show generic errors like" The Intersite Messaging service terminated with the following error: The specified server cannot perform the requested operation." Replace Intersite Messaging with DNS and you get the same error...

The other thread suggested this might be a conflict in the startup order and to try delaying the start. If this is indeed the case, I'd rather delay other services that aren't as critical. But neither solution is a good one because you shouldn't have to do this.

Any ideas would be helpful.

August 13th, 2010 9:34pm

Im getting something very similar on couple of Dell boxes, both AD and DNS, 1 running hyperv.

I have set the delayed start today but am wondering about AD services having problems.

This is only offset by the fact that it has problems anyway due to the DNS server not starting, I guess a late start is better than none.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2010 10:55am

Hi,

Thank you for your post here.

Does the issue begins after any update installation/driver update? If there is, could you please explain more about it? How does your domain look like?

Since the both DNS service and Intersite Messaging service (which is used for mail-based replication between sites) are ctritial to the ADDS (domain service), for further investigation could you please collect the MPS report on the server?

Microsoft Product Support's Reporting Tools

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=cebf3c7c-7ca5-408f-88b7-f9c79b7306c0&displaylang=en

September 3rd, 2010 10:40am

I am just now investigating a very similar issue.  So far it appears to be related to 2008 R2.  I am seeing the following services not running and seems I have not found any good log information yet as to why so still digging.............

DNS Server

Intersite Messaging

Server

Any thoughts are appreciated!!

December 7th, 2010 5:53pm

Hi ,

You should have careful planning before setting the services to delayed start. The concept of delayed start was introduced to reduce the bootup time, if you set the service as "delayed start " , the scheduled priority of the thread is reduced , you shouuld be careful to put the services under delayed start.

The reson is thread scheduling, when you set the service as delayed start , the thread fall under THREAD_PRIORITY_LOWEST and if this thread is required by other service which is running at Normal priority it will wait for all the services to complete which results in unpredicted results.

January 4th, 2011 9:23am

Hi, we're seeing the same problems with our 2008 R2 machines, W2k8 boxes are not affected.

One Solution we've found was to point the DNS servers to itself using the loopback address (aka 127.0.0.1).

That solved the problem for our DCs / DNS Servers. We've seen the same problems for our WINS Member servers

and were able to solve the problem with the same trick - pointing WINS to the local loopback address as primary Server.

One possible "solution" we've found was to turn on ETW tracing for certain components, like the NIC itself.

do a C:\>netsh trace show providers

grab the AFD / Winsock GUID from the list.

netsh trace start traceFile=C:\AFD.etl persistent=yes provider={E53C6823-7BB8-44BB-90DC-3F86090D48A6} level=5 capture=yes

wait 2 mins.

stop the NetSH tracing : netsh trace stop

Restart the machine and let me know if this solves your problem. It helped in my case.

Thanks,

Michael (MSFT)

• Proposed as answer by adam2112 Friday, December 28, 2012 11:06 AM
February 22nd, 2011 1:00pm

I was having the same issue. The solution that Highlander proposed worked like a charm for me.

netsh trace start traceFile=C:\AFD.etl persistent=yes provider={E53C6823-7BB8-44BB-90DC-3F86090D48A6} level=5 capture=yes

wait 2 mins.

Restart the machine

December 28th, 2012 11:06am

I was having the same issue. The solution that Highlander proposed worked like a charm for me.

wait 2 mins.

Restart the machine

from adam2112

it works man!

repost

August 7th, 2015 1:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics