DNS. Access was denied. Would you like to add it anyway?
Jake, Couple of items to check: [host file has been edited] 1. Open "hosts' file from c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder in notepad 2. Make sure that the IPv4 and IPv6 loop back address are present in the file, if not add it as below 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost 3. Save and close the file. 4. Open services console and restart the dnsclient service and DNS server service 5. Now open the DNS management console [WINS entry is incorect] Check WINS and make sure correct address is listed [Ensure that DNS suffix is correct, run rsop and check for invalid DNS suffix] [Use nltest /verify domain connectivity] nltest /SC_VERIFY:%NetBIOS Domain Name like CORP etc%Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog
August 15th, 2012 7:23am

Hi Jake, Thank you for the post. Have you changed any configurations on DNS server recently? Please check via "ipconfig /all" and "dcdiag /fix" command and post the results for analysis. Here is article about troubleshoot DNS event 4000 & 4015. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/2063.dns-stops-working-on-windows-server-2008-dns-event-id-4000-4015-and-userenv-event-id-1053-1054-dsforum2wiki.aspx If there are more inquiries on this issue, please feel free to let us know. RegardsRick Tan TechNet Community Support
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2012 2:09am

I've just had an issue arrise that I cannot seem to solve. I recently set up a Windows Server 2008 DC with DNS and DHCP and all has been working fine, but I discovered today that when I go into the DNS Manager I get the following issue: DNS. Access was denied. Would you like to add it anyway? I choose the option to connect to the local computer as that is where the DNS service is running, and I have tried using the FQDN with no luck. The DNS services have been restarted with no effect, and I have tried adding the Administrator group to the DNSAdmins group but this didn't help either. Also I changed the ACL for the DNS object in the Active Directory Users and Computers to give Administrators full access but this didn't help either. The domain isn't fucntioning properly as a result, with slow logins now and new GPOs not being pushed. (I'm assuming as the Windows 7 clients cannot map the server name with the IP maybe?) I've checked the Event Log for the DNS and these are the most common errors: 1) The DNS server was unable to open Active Directory 2) The DNS server has encountered a critical error from the Active Directory. Check that the Active Directory is functioning properly. The extended error debug information (which may be empty) is "". The event data contains the error. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thank you, Jake Server 2008 R2 - error code appears to be 4000.
August 16th, 2012 7:43am

Jake, Couple of items to check: [host file has been edited] 1. Open "hosts' file from c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\ folder in notepad 2. Make sure that the IPv4 and IPv6 loop back address are present in the file, if not add it as below 127.0.0.1 localhost ::1 localhost 3. Save and close the file. 4. Open services console and restart the dnsclient service and DNS server service 5. Now open the DNS management console [WINS entry is incorect] Check WINS and make sure correct address is listed [Ensure that DNS suffix is correct, run rsop and check for invalid DNS suffix] [Use nltest /verify domain connectivity] nltest /SC_VERIFY:%NetBIOS Domain Name like CORP etc%Dave Guenthner [MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights. http://blogs.technet.com/b/davguents_blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 16th, 2012 7:54am

You are an absolute hero! The host file had the two configuration lines hashed out so they weren't in operation. Thank you!
August 16th, 2012 4:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics