DNS.. can't find domain?
I'm having problems with DNS. When I attempt to logon with mstsc the server name will not resolve. When I use the IP address it's no problem. Also, users logon to the domain is slow. In general I'm not sure of the domain configuration especially in regard to DNS\WINS\DHCP. Windows 2003 was installed by someone else. I came a few days later and set up the Active Directory domain, but couldn't get the DNS running at that time. When I run nslookup/name it says it can't find the domain. It's a small network, less than a dozen users, just one server. The settings for the connections are for auto assign. Any ideas how I can fix this?
September 25th, 2006 3:42am

Are you running Windows Server "Longhorn" or Windows 2003? From your posted it sounded to me like your running WindowsServer 2003.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 26th, 2006 5:04pm

Windows Server 2003.
September 26th, 2006 11:25pm

Hi, 1.Check yourTCP/IP Settings to ensure thatyou're using a right DNS Server.// if it's okaytry the following 2. try to check your DNS records to ensure that there is anA Record(Alias Record) computer name = Ip Address , if there is no record for this computer create a one. // if this solve the problem don't forget to allow DHCP server to update DNS records with IP Address and Names automatically. coz may be DHCp didn't update dns record , so, in this case u need to create DNS records for each computer manyally. Best Regards, Sherif Talaat
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 7th, 2006 1:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics