DHCP scope for different VLAN's
Hi,I want to setup two scopes on my DHCP server, for two seperate IP ranges, for two different VLANs. How exactly would this work on one DHCP server.This server does have two NIC's, is there a way I can specify what scope is for what NIC? Like, if I put one NIC on a 10.20.0.x/24 network, and the other NIC on a 10.20.10.x/24 network, will the correct scope feed to the correct network?I am installing a VoIP system on my network, and am now implementing VLAN's. I have the configuration for the switch, but am really not sure how I will connect the DHCP server. Any suggestions would be appreciated.Thanks all.Scotty
December 29th, 2008 10:46pm

No, you do not need to multihome the DHCP server. Imagine what chaos that would cause in an environment with thirty or forty scopes! Before you look at vlans, this is how it works in a routed network. The DHCP server has only one NIC in one subnet. The routers which link to the other segments have DHCP relay enabled. When they receive a DHCP request on an interface they relay the request to the DHCP server, including information about the interface on which the request was received. The DHCP server makes an offer from a scope appropriate to that segment and the router relays that to the client. If your VLANs are configured correctly the same thing should be possible. VLANs emulatemultiple segments joined by routers.Bill
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
December 30th, 2008 6:43am

Thanks Bill,My question slightly remains in how is the server configured. I understand having a relay agent. Is there a specific way to setup the NIC on the server to know what VLAN is grabbing an IP. Do I need to have the NIC in both VLAN's??All ports on the switches will be in both VLAN's, one is for data, the other for Voice. Phones, the phone switch (voice switch) and phone server will be in one VLAN, with the computers, (connected to the network through the phone) will be connected to the other.I know I am going to use tagged based VLAN's and the data will be my main VLAN. Would I have the NIC in the server be tagged at all in the phone VLAN? This one server will be DHCP server for both VLAN's. I can easily setup a relay, just looking at how to setup the server.Would I need any options setup in the server? I know what options I will need for my phones, I am just looking at any others that may be relavant.Thanks for all the assistance, I do appreciate it.Scotty
January 27th, 2009 3:02am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics