DHCP not assigning IP's to clients
Ok. Here's my setup:Server's TCP/IP settings:IP: 192.168.1.10Subnet: 255.255.255.0Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1My DHCP scope is configured to dish out IP from 192.168.1.10 to 254I've tried to authorized DHCP, release and renew. All I'm getting is APIPA address.Thanks.
January 7th, 2010 5:54pm

Is the server and the clients on the same subnet? If not, you'll need to configure a RELAY AGENT between the two networks. Does your scope show as UP (Green Circle with a check mark-Win 2008)? If its is still DOWN (red circle with X) then it wont issue any clients. As you indicated, the server must be authorized first and the scope needs to be enabled.Check the application log to see if there is anything preventing the server from becoming authorized and issuing IPs.You can take a packet capture using a Network Monitor/Packet Analyzer like Wireshark installed on the Workstation. With a packet analyzer you will be able to see if the clients are actually sending out a DHCPDISCOVER packet and if any packets are returned from the server. You can do the same from the Server and see if the DHCPDISCOVER packets reach the server. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2010 6:31pm

I believe that they're on the same subnet. We have less than 100 clients so I don't think it's a subnet issue. The scope does show up with a green circle and a check mark. However, when I first open up DHCP from the server manager, the scope shows up with 200.0.0.10 for a few seconds and then goes to the 192... scope. Weird!Can I delete the scope and start over? What scope range do you suggest?Thanks.
January 7th, 2010 6:56pm

Oh, I almost forget. Check the Network Bindings (In 2008) it is in the same Advanced Tab in the properties Window (IPV4-Properties). You want to make sure that DHCP is bound to the NIC that will be servicing the DHCP clients. This usually happens when administrators do not disable the unused NICs (always, always, disable unused NICs).And yes, you can delete the scope and start over, but make sure you write down all of your server/scope options. In addition, you may have some reservations already defined.Important Note: In the same IPV4 properties Window, Advanced Tab... Make sure that you have Conflict Detection enabled. You wouldnt want your DHCP server to issue an IP address that is already in use. If you delete the scope and recreate it, you want to make sure that this is enabled so that the server will only issue leases for IPs that do not respond to ICMP. If there are some IPs in use, the server will create a temporary lease (1 hour) called "BAD ADDRESS". This is ok and the scope will return back to normal when all of the leases have renewed. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 7th, 2010 9:48pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics