DHCP just stopped handing out addresses
On Friday everything was fine. I installed Type to Learn which installed rubyonrails. I come in Monday and now DHCP won't give out leases. I can ping the address. I can get management info from my other server which is correct. All services and dependencies seem to be running. Please help. This is on a Server 2003 box. I've got a 2003 and a 2008. Also, the 2003 was updated after I installed the new software.
January 11th, 2010 9:47pm

If you open the DHCP console does it show everything is running? Also do you see any errors in the Event Viewer?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 11th, 2010 10:59pm

Do you still have free addresses in the pool? In other words, has it handed out all available addresses?
January 12th, 2010 1:45am

Hi There,For quick and faster way , i would suggest the below method.Run the netmon / ethereal on both client and the server simultaneously and then on client perform ipconfig /renew which should contact the DHCP server. Once this is done stop the capture on both the server and client.I would suggest you to analyze the client side trace for DORA packets which should give you clear understanding of what exactly is happneing Second , also you can check for the server side tracing to see if the packet from client is reaching the server, if not you can see if there is an initial 3 way communication being established, and accordingly analyze the trace. ===================================================================================================2nd workaroundYou can use msconfig and disable the 3rd party services and then restart the dhcp service on the server , then try release and renew.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 12th, 2010 4:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics