DHCP and DNS dynamic updates.

We are having trouble with records dropping out of DNS, the environment is 2008 r2 domain.  We have three DC's in the one site, all three are DNS servers and one does DHCP.  

When I look at the DHCP IPV4/Properties/Advanced/Credentials area there is no username or domain info.  I am assuming it's running with a local service account.  Do I need to have a domain user or admin account here to allow the update of DNS records on the multiple servers?

Do I need to do anything else, like add the DC's or that account to any groups?  We are set to do secure updates and no one is apart of the DNSUpdateProxy group.  Thank you

February 1st, 2014 10:05am

Hi,

your question may be better asked in the NIS forum: http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/home?forum=winserverNIS  (perhaps a mod could move this one?)

Is your DNS setup as AD-integrated?

You said that records are dropping out, does that mean, the RRs are created, work fine, then at some stage they are deleted?

You said that you are set to do secure updates, does that mean that you only permit the DHCP server to perform the dynamic updates and not the endpoints themselves?

Have you examined logs etc (you may need to raise the loglevels details) to see if "something" deleted the RR, either by explicit request or via scavenging?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 1st, 2014 5:52pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics