DHCP Server on workgroup
why does Microsoft preferred the DHCP serverto be on workgroup instated of being joined to a domain?
April 14th, 2009 7:55am

Hi Mohammed, Microsoft prefer the DHCP server to be on a workgroup instead of a domain? Where did you hear of this? It is not appreciate to compare which is better. DHCP Servers can be installed in both workgroups and domains. It depends on whether you choose a workgroup or a domain. Tim Quan - MSFT
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 14th, 2009 9:14am

Hi Tim, Because in our company Microsoft put this design; DHCP serveron workgroup. Do you have an idea if there are any different between DHCP on workgroup or being a member at a domain? Regards,Mohammed
April 14th, 2009 9:30am

Hello Mohammed, Its unbeleivable that Microsoft can offer this kind of solution to there customers because Microsoft it self says Stand-alone server.The computer is not operating as a domain controller or a member server in a domain. Instead, the server computer is made known to the network through a specified workgroup name, which can be shared by other computers, but is used only for browsing purposes and not to provide secured logon access to shared domain resources. If you deploy Active Directory, all computers operating as DHCP servers must be either domain controllers or domain member servers before they can be authorized and provide DHCP service to clients. Although it is not recommended, you can use a stand-alone server as a DHCP server as long as it is not on a subnet with any authorized DHCP servers. When a stand-alone DHCP server detects an authorized server on the same subnet, it automatically stops leasing IP addresses to DHCP clients. http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc781697.aspxThanks and Hope it HelpsSyed Khairuddin
April 14th, 2009 10:10am

Hi Mohammed, Does your company use a workgroup or a domain? If they use a domain, Syed is correct. Otherwise, I am afraid that Syeds article does not apply to Mohammed situation as this article refers to a domain environment. A stand-alone server is a DHCP server which is not joined to the domain. When a stand-alone DHCP server detects an authorized server on the same subnet, it automatically stops leasing IP addresses to DHCP clients. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 14th, 2009 10:50am

Hi Tim,we are using workgroup,mabye because or DHCP servers were exist before the installations of Active dirctory.Regards,Mohammed
April 14th, 2009 11:09am

Hi Mohammed, As you are using a workgroup instead of a domain, I am afraid you have to install a DHCP server in a workgroup. To install a DNCP server in a domain, you must have a domain first. For detailed information, I suggest contacting the Microsoft guy who designed the environment for you directly. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 14th, 2009 11:59am

Hi Tim,I meant in my message, that in our infrastructure we do have both DHCP servers and a domain, but the DHCP servers are notjoined to the domain. The DHCP servers were installed before weinstalled the domain.Regards,Mohammed
April 14th, 2009 1:20pm

Hi Mohammed, Thank you for the reply. I understand the current situation now. However, I am afraid that this is not the reason why they setup the WDS server on a workgroup computer. After a domain is created, you can install and authorize a DHCP server on a domain controller and then the WDS server on a workgroup computer will automatically stop leasing IP addresses. Anyway you can install a WDS Server on a stand-alone server but this is not a preferred method. You may need to contact the Microsoft guy who designed the environment for detailed information. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 14th, 2009 1:58pm

Hi Tim,thank you so much for the reply.regards,Mohammed
April 14th, 2009 2:38pm

Hi Tim,I checked about my company situation, mabye because we still have got the Novel server and there are users still logon on Novel, that is why our DHCP servers on workgroup not on domain.Regards,Mohammed
April 16th, 2009 6:57am

Hi Mohammed, Thank you for the post. That could be the reason. Tim Quan - MSFT
April 16th, 2009 7:17am

Hi Tim,Thank you so much for your help.Regards,Mohammed
April 16th, 2009 9:36am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics