DHCP Server into Network
Dear All,We have MS-Windows 2003 Server on which we have configured DHCP Server for Assiging IP address automatically. And in my company when visitor's comes for any Financial Audit pupose or any other purpose and when he plug's his laptop intot their network or assign static ip address to his laptop, then System Administrator will not come to know that which IP address he is assigned. I want some Software's From which when any Visitor's Plug's their laptop then System Administrator will immediately get the alert either normal alert or by E-mail.So please provide me any free or paid software's from which i can find out, or if any other solution is available with you then send it to me.Trust me your solution will really helpful for me n resolve every issue.Regards,>--Arjun-->Arjun
February 26th, 2010 12:57pm

To prevent people from coming into your network and plugging into any port, it will require that you deploy an 802.1x solution, possible with Network Access Protection especially if you want to quarantine systems and check if they meet a certain level of compliancy (with patches, AV signature, etc...).Microsoft has their solution, but this is not the only way you can do it. There is alot more to it than can be provided in a simple posting.Start your research by looking for topics related to NAP, 802.1x, and Radius Authentication. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 27th, 2010 4:44am

Hello,In addition to Jorge's suggestions, you can also use MAC address filters w/o any aditional expensive hw or sw.... Most decent routers have some type of MAC filter built in.You allow ONLY computers with MAC address reservations to join the network. You will need to know his MAC address and whitelist it. In addition, you can assign an IP address to that particular MAC address so that you can further restrict the user if the router has a packet filter or IP filter.MiguelMiguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
February 27th, 2010 6:22pm

Miguel Fra provides a good recommendation as well. Let us know if you have any other questions.Visit my blog: anITKB.com
March 2nd, 2010 7:44pm

Dear Miguel,Thanks for your update, but i wil explain you my network which is as below:Internet <-----> Firewall <-----------> Switch (L2) <-------------> Clients and server'sIf we don't have any Routers then your solution will not work, so if you have any application which will prompt me for new mac address enters into network then let me know.side by side i wil trying for NAC in Windows 2008 too.Your reply is really valuable for me.Regards,ArjunArjun
March 4th, 2010 2:36pm

Hello Arjun,Normally what I am about to recommend for you to look at, I usually dont recommend only because it become impracticle on networks with alot of clients and dynamics.You could use use Windows 2003/2008 DHCP in combination with a DLL that will allow you to create a "whitelist" of approved MACs. I havent tested it myself, but i know of others that have used it. This may be what you are looking for.http://www.petri.co.il/filter-mac-address-windows-server-2008-dhcp-server-callout-dll.htmVisit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
March 5th, 2010 12:32am

Excellent find Jorge!Miguel Fra / Falcon ITS Computer & Network Support, Miami, FL
March 11th, 2010 6:33am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics