DHCP Server Help please
I have a dhcp server installed in windows 2003 server with one NIC connected to cisco switch configured with 4 vlans & i want each user to get an ip address from the dhcp i made 4 scopes in the dhcp server & ip helper-address in each vlan to get ip address from the dhcp but when i did that only 1 vlan can get an ip address while the others can't get ip address can u plz help me how to solve this problem
January 15th, 2010 6:29pm

Double check your "IP Helper" (Relay Agent) Configuration. The problem should be there. You may want to take a packet capture on the DHCP server and take a close look at the DHCPDISCOVER packets. You want pay close attention to the Relay IP Address field (also known as the Gateway IP Address field) in the DHCP header. Read about my posting in this thread:http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverNIS/thread/676a42cf-dc8a-46f7-a6bd-f783ee607036 Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 15th, 2010 7:01pm

the ip helper configuration is corrrect bec. when i set the ip helper address to another dhcp address pool on a switch the users got ip address but they can't get from the windows server dhcp only the 1st vlan got from the dhcp
January 15th, 2010 7:08pm

There is not alot of information to go by based on your postings so far. Since you are indicating that only the first scope is issuing addresses, at least we know that the DHCP server service is up, running, and listening on the NIC that is bound to the service. I will still recommend that you take a packet capture (you can download Wireshark, or use Microsoft's NetMon) from the DHCP server. I would want to make 100% sure that the DHCPDISCOVER packets have the correct information about the RELAY AGENT. This is key information for a DHCP server to determine which subnet the packets are coming in from. If that information is blank, its going to use the first scope for all requests.Of course you didnt mention this but I assume you didnt create a superscope. That would not be correct either for what you are trying to accomplish.Maybe you have a vlan config issue on the port where the DHCP server is connected? Too many possible issues. My recommendation is to rule out the relay problem which can be determined literly in a few minutes by looking at the packets. Visit my blog: anITKB.com, an IT Knowledge Base.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 16th, 2010 2:01am

thanks alot for ur help i found that the error was from the scope bec. they created super scope when we fixed it everything was okay thanks alot for your help again
January 17th, 2010 9:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics