DHCP Address Pool - Does it need to cover the reservation IP's?
On our servers we are using DHCP reservations rather than static IP's to have a central management of all IP's on the network. We recently switched to a class B network of 172.20.0.0. Accidentally, I created the address pool to cover only our DHCP workstations. The address pool is as follows: 172.20.2.1-172.20.3.254 But I had created reservations for servers/devices that are outside of that address pool. It seems to work fine and we are pleased with the aesthetics of it since it simplifies the setup. All servers and devices were able to grab the IP that they were supposed to grab even though the address pool does not cover them. But is this a correct setup? Are there any cons to using reservations for IP's that are not in our address pool? Everything seems to work fine. All the servers are up and running. We are using DHCP in windows server 2008 64bit.
March 21st, 2011 9:49pm

Hi Frank, Thanks for posting here. > But I had created reservations for servers/devices that are outside of that address pool. You just need make sure that these reservation addresses are included in your new class B IP segment range, see the introduction in the article below: Limitations Creating DHCP Reservations http://support.microsoft.com/kb/196066 Thanks. Tiger LiPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 22nd, 2011 9:47am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics