DFServiceLogs with lots of exceptions - E_ACCESSDENIED and 0x80070091 (The directory is not empty)

While digging for some issue, I've noticed that whenever I run my cloud services locally, the Compute Emulator logs at %LocalAppData%\dftmp\DFServiceLogs\<UUID>DFService.log fill up with dozens of these exceptions:

DFService Information: 0 : [00005036:00000040, 2015/09/06 05:44:24.588] Exception:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070091): The directory is not empty. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070091)
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.GuestAgent.EmulatorRuntime.EmulatorRuntimeImpl.StartRole(String roleInstanceId, CertificateBlobType certsBlobType, Byte[] certificatesBlob)
   at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Fabricator.StartRoleInstance(RDConfig roleInstanceConfig)
   at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Fabricator.RestartRoleInstance(RDConfig roleInstanceConfig)

DFService Information: 0 : [00005036:00000037, 2015/09/06 05:44:24.591] Exception:System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHRInternal(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at System.Runtime.InteropServices.Marshal.ThrowExceptionForHR(Int32 errorCode, IntPtr errorInfo)
   at Microsoft.WindowsAzure.GuestAgent.EmulatorRuntime.EmulatorRuntimeImpl.StartRole(String roleInstanceId, CertificateBlobType certsBlobType, Byte[] certificatesBlob)
   at Microsoft.ServiceHosting.Tools.DevelopmentFabric.Fabricator.StartRoleInstance(RDConfig roleInstanceConfig)

Unfortunately, it's not clear which file/directory the errors refer to.

This must mean something, right?

September 6th, 2015 1:22pm

Hi,

It doesn't look like Storage issue. It is more of a compute related question. However, I see that there are two exceptions, both being related to file system access. This is for the DFService.exe which is the emulator executable.
a) Exception:System.Runtime.InteropServices.COMException (0x80070091): The directory is not empty. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070091)
b) Exception:System.UnauthorizedAccessException: Access is denied. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80070005 (E_ACCESSDENIED))

You can use process monitor(https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb896645.aspx) to try and determine what is the failing access for DFService.exe and troubleshoot from there. The other option is to create a support ticket and work with a support person from Microsoft to determine what is causing the error.

Best Regards

Sadiqh Ahmed

________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

If a post answers your question, please click Mark As Answer on that post and Vote as Helpful.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 7th, 2015 7:48am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics