DFS is not working anymore.

DFS was configured and working fine on Server 2008 STD, but now it's no longer replicating. Here are some of the errors I am seeing:

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
- Due to the following error, the DFS Replication reporting mechanism cannot access the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) namespace to retrieve certain reporting information. Error ID: 0x80041002.

- DFS Replication cannot replicate with partner <server name> for replication group <domain>\<name space>\<share>. The partner did not recognize the connection or the replication group configuration. The DFS Replication service used partner DNS name <server name>, IP address <the server ip>, and WINS address <server name> but failed with error ID: 9026 (The connection is invalid). Event ID: 5012

AND

- The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner <server name> for replication group Domain System Volume due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically.

Additional Information:
Error: 1726 (The remote procedure call failed.)
Connection ID: 580D7FC3-873F-48CC-AFC1-73E96DFADCE2
Replication Group ID: ACA5FC8A-AA2E-4D40-8ECC-3A0A8F45E5F8
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I also have noticed that there is a disabled sysvol in the replication area which belongs to an decommissioned server. Not sure if that would mess anything up or not since it is disabled (and not needed), but I can't get rid of it.

September 30th, 2008 10:44pm

Hi Rollinz,

According to the research, the issue maybe occur because the DFS servers do not have the permission to read AD information on themselves or their partners.

1. Please open the ADSIedit.msc console to verify the "Authenticated Users" is set with the default READ permission on the following object:

a. The computer object of the DFS server

b. The DFSR-LocalSettings object under the DFS server computer object

2. After the permissions is set correct, please run "DFSRDIAG POLLAD" to pick up the changes.

Another possible reason is that FSRM is configured as some types of files are blocked from DFS replication. When the DFSR filters are not set to match FSRM screens by extension and the files exist on the server before screening, this can lead to degraded DFSR performance and the files will never replicate.

If possible, please remove file screening and reconfigure it to remove files by extension or set a comparable DFSR filter rule to prevent replication attempts.

Hope it helps.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 3rd, 2008 9:14am

You are the man David!

A few side notes for anyone else looking for a fix here:

- The file permissions were already set correctly in my case.
- I went into adsiedit.msc and updated the schema as well as verified in my Domain Controller list that DFS replication was good.
- I then ran the suggested "DFSRDIAG POLLAD".

One last critical step I had to do because I had deleted my DFS replication groups was to not only recreate them, but to first delete the "DfsPrivate" hidden folders that were left behind. For some reason mine were either corrupt, or the server never noticed they needed to be recreated. I got the following message in my event logs before deleting the DfsPrivate folders:

------------------------------------------------------------

The DFS Replication service failed to communicate with partner <server name> for replication <group_name>. The partner did not recognize the connection or the replication group configuration.

Partner DNS Address: <server.domain>

Optional data if available:
Partner WINS Address: <server>
Partner IP Address: x.x.x.x

The service will retry the connection periodically.

Additional Information:
Error: 9026 (The connection is invalid)
Connection ID: EE4A57A7-CC40-4156-BB08-1CE6B9348208
Replication Group ID: DFAC71DA-A412-4C10-8A6B-0D6198AEFD6B
October 7th, 2008 4:32pm

Hi Rollinz,

Thank you for the knowledge sharing on this issue. The other community members could get benefit from it.

Thanks again.

May 23rd, 2009 2:08pm

Hi,

Ihave had a similarissue while setting up DFS Replication and the replication reporting issued theError ID: 0x80041002 and also Error: 9026 (The connection is invalid).

In my case I was able to resolve it by registeringthe MicrosoftDFS WMI namespace (I don't know if or why ithas been de-registered or somehow stepped on).

Anyway maybe this helps you if you have the same issue

Open a CMD prompt in %windir%\system32\wbem

typemofcomp dfsrprovs.mof

net stop winmgmt
net start winmgmt
net start iphlpsvc
net stop dfsr
net start dfsr

Now it works (for me) and I hope for you !

Raymond
July 12th, 2009 10:29pm

Thanks Raymond,

Your solution worked for me!

June 2nd, 2011 2:07am

I m still gettting the error. 

- The DFS Replication service is stopping communication with partner <server name> for replication group Domain System Volume due to an error. The service will retry the connection periodically. 

Additional Information: 

This was verified and its the same on the two DFS servers. 

1. Please open the ADSIedit.msc console to verify the "Authenticated Users" is set with the default READ permission on the following object:

a. The computer object of the DFS server

b. The DFSR-LocalSettings object under the DFS server computer object

2. After the permissions is set correct, please run "DFSRDIAG POLLAD" to pick up the changes.

The below filters are not in use.

Another possible reason is that FSRM is configured as some types of files are blocked from DFS replication. When the DFSR filters are not set to match FSRM screens by extension and the files exist on the server before screening, this can lead to degraded DFSR performance and the files will never replicate.

If possible, please remove file screening and reconfigure it to remove files by extension or set a comparable DFSR filter rule to prevent replication attempts.

Any suggestions. Thanks Cliford,

October 31st, 2011 6:29am

Another possible reason... the files exist on the server before screening... and the files will never replicate.

August 8th, 2012 7:45pm

I faced similiar problems with one of my domain controllers that is in the cloud. We were having some networking difficulties with a new cloud server we spun up and contacted our cloud vendor who was attempting to troubleshoot our problem.  

Turns out that the vendor had changed our Windows firewall rules on us and then didn't notify us. So be sure to check your firewall rules as well. 

Once I fixed my firewall rules AD replication started working again.

November 13th, 2013 2:59pm

I'm having a problem finding Authenticated Users... is it still in Server 2012 R2?
December 21st, 2013 12:53am

DFS was configured and working fine on Server 2008 STD, but now it's no longer replicating.  Here are some of the errors I am seeing:

- Due to the following error, the DFS Replication reporting mechanism cannot access the WMI (Windows Management Instrumentation) namespace to retrieve certain reporting information. Error ID: 0x80041002.

- DFS Replication cannot replicate with partner <server name> for replication group <domain>\<name space>\<share>. The partner did not recognize the connection or the replication group configuration. The DFS Replication service used partner DNS name <server name>, IP address <the server ip>, and WINS address <server name> but failed with error ID: 9026 (The connection is invalid). Event ID: 5012

AND

Additional Information:

I also have noticed that there is a disabled sysvol in the replication area which belongs to an decommissioned server.  Not sure if that would mess anything up or not since it is disabled (and not needed), but I can't get rid of it.

Just to give you all a different view, RPC problems are often also caused by firewall and RPC configuration problems. I have a Cisco ASA 5505 connected to a TMG 2010. DFSR was being a total failure, with only these warnings, until I in TMG "Configure RPC Protocol", where i uncheck the box "Enforce strict RPC compliance". Seems like WMI Control isn't per default under "strict complaince" for some reason. I suggest you to try connect to "WMI Control" using MMC to see whether WMI Connection works or not.
January 28th, 2014 2:28pm

Hi,

I have had a similar issue while setting up DFS Replication and the replication reporting issued the Error ID: 0x80041002 and also Error: 9026 (The connection is invalid).

In my case I was able to resolve it by registering the MicrosoftDFS WMI namespace (I don't know if or why it has been de-registered or somehow stepped on).

Anyway maybe this helps you if you have the same issue

Open a CMD prompt in %windir%\system32\wbem

type mofcomp dfsrprovs.mof

net stop winmgmt
net start winmgmt
net start iphlpsvc
net stop dfsr
net start dfsr

Now it works (for me) and I hope for you !

Raymond

This worked for me. A new installation of 2012R2 running AD DS and DFS was not replicating at all (dfsrdiag replicationstate was coming up empty with 0 active connections) even though everything was showing green status in DFS Management. Later I ran the health report and saw errors on both ends (both DFS partners), finally I realized the dfsrdiag pollad was returning Error ID: 0x80041002 on this new server (was good on partner).

Above procedure fixed it! Thanks!

August 14th, 2014 4:50pm

Thanks Raymond!  Worked for me too.
January 30th, 2015 7:23pm

Thanks Raymond...

It works for me.

March 9th, 2015 1:35am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics