DFS Server will shutdown -will DFS still work
Hi guys I have DFS setup in my environment. Windows 2008 R2 File and Print Server. I willl kill one of my file and print servers tommorrow. I have setup Namespaces on that server. When i go to C:\ there is a DFSRoots folder and under that that namespaces that i have created on that server. I have checked on one of my other file and print servers - there is also a DFSRoots folder but different stuff in there. Does that mean i will have to manually copy the stuff under DFSRoots on the server that will die to a server that still works for that namespaces to be available or will it still be available in some way even though i shut down the server? or can i just go to the namespace in DFS management and add a namespace server for that namespace? Thanks in advance
July 8th, 2011 9:19am

if you open the dfs management mmc and select the namespace you want to check, youll see on the namespace servers tab which servers control that namespace. as long as there are more then your shutdown server there, the dfs namespace will keep working. to be save you should export your namespaces (http://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc771134(WS.10).aspx, see the view parameter with batch option) before you permanently remove a server.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2011 10:16am

FZB, i have added the second namespace server. Directly after that i deleted the to-be decom namespace server. Now in DFS Management console i get a error "The namespace cannot be queried - element not found". This is urgent Can you/someone help?
July 8th, 2011 3:13pm

Pls ignore my response saying it is not working - it IS working indeed. Just expected it to be instant and it took a minute or 2 before all was working
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2011 3:21pm

the changes takes a bit to replicate accross your active directory. glad it worked though despite the "oh crap" moment
July 9th, 2011 5:34am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics