DFS Replication in Server 2008 - Memory leak?
Hi,We moved some of our DFS namespaces on new servers running under 2008.Since we've started it, I see memory usage by process dfsrs.exe is about 10 times more than on old servers (2003 R2) and it keeps growing. Currently, from Resource Monitor it's:Commit (KB) 271,468Working Set (KB) 267,520Shareable (KB) 17,092Private (KB) 250,444There are only two servers in the namespace and replication group. Both are under 2008 64bit.Data loading in the replicated folders is very low. It's mostly used as a storage place for file based data interchange between our legacy systems and BizTalk Server.It looks like a memory leak somewhere in dfsrs.exe. I've tried to search on the Internet and found there was an issue with 2003 with released fix but nothing about 2008.Any help will be appreciated.Regards,Nick Nick
February 12th, 2009 3:35am

I had to reboot one of the servers as it reached ~330MB memory usage by the process and failed to support Server for NFS feature.Since then, 10 hours have passed and dfsrs.exe process is 100MB more than what it has started with.Really need any help on the subject.Nick
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 13th, 2009 1:54am

Hi Nick, For the memory leak issue, please boot the problematic server with clean boot to monitor if the issue still exists. Steps to clean boot: 1. Click Start->Run...-> type msconfig and press Enter 2. Click Services tab and select Hide All Microsoft Services and Disable All third party Services. 3. Click Startup tab and Disable All startup items 4. Click OK and choose Restart 5. After reboot, check whether the problem still occurs If the issue still continues, we may need to analyze the performance log and crash dump file to solid locate the root cause of the memory leak issue. Since the forum is not the best channel to troubleshoot this kind of issue, I would suggest that you contact Microsoft Customer Support service to troubleshoot this issue efficiently. You may obtain the phone numbers for specific technology request for the following website, please take a look at the web site listed below: https://support.microsoft.com/common/international.aspx?iid=174859&iguid=56907522-6886-4238-a70f-a1d06a4473c7_2_2&rdpath=1 Hope the issue will be resolved soon.David Shen - MSFT
February 13th, 2009 11:03am

We were also experiencing ever-increasing memory from the dfsrs.exe process in Server 2008 R1. There is a hotfix available from Microsoft that looks like it is going to be part of Service Pack 3. The memory usage of the DFS Replication service keeps increasing on a PDC emulator or on a writable domain controller that is running Windows Server 2008 during the SYSVOL share replication process - http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971203/en-us
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 10th, 2010 1:49pm

Hi, Did you solve this issue? I have the exact same problem on the primary file server, have to restart the replication service once every second day, or it starts affecting users. I havent tried the hotfix yet, as it seems to be for domain controllers, and this server only hold the file server role. /Michael
April 29th, 2011 4:49am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics