DFS Replication - server not replicating
Here is my scenario: Site A Server 1 (VMWare): 2008 R2, fully updated Roles: File - DFS Replication - no namespace Replicating Folders: Folder A, Folder B, Folder C Site B Server 2 (Physical): 2008 R2, fully updated Roles: DC (DNS etc), File - DFS Replication - no namespace Replicating Folders: Folder B, Folder C Server 3 (Hyper V): 2008 R2, fully updated Roles: Print, File - DFS Replication - no namespace Replicating Folders: Folder A, Folder B, Folder C Server 1 replicated folders ABC to Server 2 for 2 years with no problems (each folder in its own Replication Group). We then purchased a new server (Server 3) which will be replacing server 2, so i started the task of moving all replication services to the new server. I removed Server 2 from the Replication group (Folder A) and added Server 3. Nothing happened. The Initial Replication didn't happen after leaving it for a week. After spending ages on Google and trying loads of different tasks I decided to start over. I deleted the DFSRPrivate Folder on both servers, forced a DC replication and also left it for 24 hours. I then recreated the Replication Group, forced a DC Rep, left it for 24 hours. Still no data in the folder on Server 3. In the meantime Folder B and C were still replicating fine between Server 1 and 2. I decided to try a different approach for folders B & C. For Folder B I added Server 3 without removing Server 2. Still didn't work. Server 2 still replicates fine with server 1; Server 3 gets nothing. For Folder C I tried pre-seeding the folder on Server 3 to see if that made any difference, alas no it didn't. I applied all the 2008 R2 DFS hotfixes from the MS site to Server 1 and 3 and since then I don't get an errors, event ID's. Server 1 and 2 still replicate, so the hotfixes didn't affect server 1. I did a health report on all 3 folders and the health report comes back clean. No errors or warnings. All fine. I did a propagation test on folder C and after 36 hours the test file still hasn't replicated. No error has been given. I'm using NOD32 Business Edition, which i know doesn't conflict, 'cos it's working on 2 of the DFS servers. There are no Windows firewalls enabled on the servers, and the firewalls in place between sites are not affecting the DFS 'cos DFS is currently working. (sites are on an MPLS network). I'm wondering if maybe it's the Hyper V needs some sort of configuring?
May 23rd, 2012 11:15am

Have a try on following steps: 1. Stop and ALSO disable the DFSR service on <ServerA> server (don't just simply stop it) 2. In Windows Explorer open the J: drive 3. Right click on the "System Volume Information" directory and select Properties\Security Note: You might need to select the option for "Show hidden files, folders or drives" and also uncheck "Hide protected operating system files" in the folders view options to be able to even see the "System Volume Information" directory. 4. Grant your user account that you're logged in with (if a member of Administrators group this will also suffice) Full Control' to the "System Volume Information" directory. Note: You may get an error on setting security on some files - this is expected. 5. Open an elevated/Administrative command prompt. Switch to the "J:\System Volume Information" directory 6. Type the command "rmdir DFSR /s" 7. Enable and re-start the DFSR service on <ServerA> server 8. We will then set the <ServerA> server as the Primary member with dfsradmin.exe utility Dfsradmin Membership Set /RGName:<RG Name> /RFName:<RF Name> /MemName:<Member Name> /IsPrimary:True TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 24th, 2012 11:28am

Thanks Shaon. Before i try this here's what i tried while waiting for a reply. I logged on the server that is hosting my HyperV (Server 3). Added the File Service with DFS Replication. Added Folder C to the replication group to replicate from Server 1. Hey presto, it worked perfectly. So now I really do suspect it has something to do with Server 3's Hyper V configs??
May 24th, 2012 4:00pm

From the description the network connection of Server3 is fine. There is nothing special which should affect DFSR. How about creating a new replication group between the server3 and its host physical server? Check if the replication will work. Also test to disable firewall and see if it is related. TechNet Subscriber Support in forum |If you have any feedback on our support, please contact tnmff@microsoft.com.
May 28th, 2012 12:02pm

Finally the server is replicating, and it was all down to the setup of the network ports of the Hyper V host server. I have an HP DL380 G7 with 4 LAN ports which were originally bridged using the OS's version of bridging. I then decided to use HP's Network Config utility to team the ports together. I started with all 4 ports in one team, then 2 and 2, each time configuring Hyper V to use one of the teams. Finally I removed the teams, disabled 3 ports and just had the one LAN port running. I then configured Hyper V to use this one port for the VM's. Only then did the servers replicate to each other. If someone could shed some light on this it would be great, as I didn't find anything on the net which suggested that there was some settings to change to get teamed ports to allow DFS to work...
June 8th, 2012 2:00pm

I am curious about this. We have a two-node Hyper-V 3.0 cluster (Server 2012). Native Server 2012 nic teaming is configured on the host, with four 2-port nic teams that are set for Hyper-V Port mode. I have two guests which also run Windows 2012. One has been in use for some time and is the active file server, and currently replicates via DFSR to another 2012 server in our other datacenter. the 2nd guest server on this cluster was built up a few days ago and configured to replicate the same folder via DFSR. It replicated roughly half of the data (if that) and then reported that initial sync was done, and dfsrdiag backlog reported the two were in sync! Of course they were nowhere near in sync. So based on the info in this thread I migrated the new machine over to the other host in the cluster (initially both guests were running on the same host) and rebooted it, and now replication has magically started up again... at least I see more space being eaten up on the new server's drive as time goes on. But dfsrdiag backlog continues to claim the two are in sync. Very concerning that dfsrdiag cannot be trusted...
April 12th, 2013 7:41am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics