DFS Referral Process
Hello Everyone,I have created two files servers located in the same subnet/location as the user computers. The users are accessing a DFS namespace that links to both servers. When my users connect to the DFS namespace are they directed to one of thefile servers randomly?I would like to use DFS whereas if a user connects to the DFS namespace they are randomly directed to one of the file servers (load balancing).Thanks,D
November 28th, 2009 2:19am

They will be randomly pointed to the DFS server, If one will be switched off, clients will pick up second one. But you won't be able to control that manually.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2009 1:32am

Hi Derek,For detailed info about DFS Referral...http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc782417(WS.10).aspxRegardsRajesh J S
November 29th, 2009 2:58am

Can I use NLB to setup a load balancing mechanism between both file servers and using DFS (just to replicate files between each server)? Im trying to prevent a situation whereas users are overloading one server with requests when another server is available. Do you feel DFS automatically load balances? Thanks, D
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 29th, 2009 4:26am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics