DFS Namespace issue

HI,

I have 4 namespace servers for my domain.  2 are Windows 2012R2 DCs and a 2003R2 DC in 1 AD site.  I have 1 other DFS namespace server Windows 2008R2 DC in another AD site. In the login script, i map y: drive to the DFS namespace.

Once a week, 1 person(in the ADsite with 3 DFS servers) can't access a folder in the Y:  A reboot 99% fixes it.

I have noticed if i wait a few minutes, the domain\dfs works, but i must remap the drive.

In windows explorer, if i do a domain\dfs, how doi know the actual server it is accessing...?

Thanks,

Tom...

September 10th, 2015 2:30pm

Hi Tom,

To see the exact server target it is accessing, you can right click on the folder \\domain.com\dfs\share and go to Properties - DFS tab.

As you suspected, I also think it is actually connected to the wrong server target.

If failover is not needed (say server will almost always online), you can use dfsutil /insite to force users accessing an insite target.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 12th, 2015 3:41am

Hi Shaon,

This is great, Thanks

So i can put this in the network loginscipt before mapping a drive to the DFS root...?

Thanks,

September 14th, 2015 9:15am

Hi Thomas,

It is for server side. Once you run the command dfsutil /insite, an outside target will not be provided when a client trying to get an available list of server target in accessing a DFS namespace.

eg: dfsutil /insite:\\example.com\dfsroot /enable

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 15th, 2015 2:22am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics