DFS - Publish Namespace Issue

Background - Set up a Domain DFS Namespace on a Server as a DFS Root prior to setting up a DFS Replication Partnership. Set up 2nd Server and then created the Replication Partnership. Replication is working fine.

Now - In the Replicated Folder tab in Replication Management the Publication Status is "Not Published." When attempting to Publish the Replicated partners to a namespace from the Replicated Folders tab, I get the following message: the folder cannot be created in the namespace. the folder already exists in the namespace.

Questions - Do I have to delete the shared folder in the DFS namespace and then choose to publish the folder from the Replicated Folders tab in Replication Management to recreate the share? Will this cause data to be lost? Will Permissions be lost? Or as another option, can I safely delete the Replication Partnership for the folder without losing data in the replicated folders, right click on the folder in question under Namespaces and select "Replicate Folder" and recreate the Replication Partnership while retaining the published namespace?

Thank you,

David

September 3rd, 2015 4:53pm

Hi David,

Thanks for your post.

May I ask do you follow steps blow to setup the Namespace and the replication group?

You can publish/create a new folder from the namespace tab; you will manually have to add the targets to the folder, and you may create a replication group based on an exists DFS namespace. Right click on DFS namespace to create. Then you may follow the wizard to setup the replication group.

Please check for more details.

https://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/Cc732863(v=WS.10).aspx

And if you manually setup replication group, the replication group you created do not know it is a replication group of an exists namespace, so it will think the group you created is "not published", while actually a namespace is created and shared.

Could you click and highlight the \\domain.local\shared\files root?

You should see some folders displayed if they are a part of the namespace, if you don't you'll need to publish them.

In my test, we could add the shared folder in the DFS namespace. Then it could be replicated from one DFS sever to another DFS server.

Best Regards,

Mary Dong

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 1:53am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics