DFS-R Endpoint Mapper Issue - Windows Storage Server 2008

I'm trying to solve a problem with two Windows Storage Server 2008 (Dell Powervault) servers that stopped replicating data about a month ago.

The Organisation has Two Windows Server 2008 Domain Controllers, and Two Storage Servers, in the same site on the same subnet. No hardware/network firewalls exist between these 4 servers, they're connected to the same Switch. On each, the Windows Firewall Service is Running, but firewall Disabled.

The Storage servers both show the DFRS Event 5002 - Error: 1753 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.)

The DC's have no such error and are replicating SYSVOL just fine. Problem only exists on the Storage servers, and most guides/troubleshooting steps I have seen relating to Error 1753 seem to assume it's a DC that has the issue, rather than a member server.

There was only one noted change that occurred at the time this problem started happening; the server had been rebooted overnight to allow Windows Updates to install. No configuration changes were made, so we think that something changed by windows updates caused this, but we don't know how, or which update.

Using rpcdump, I can see that On both the DCs, there is a listening TCP Port for the Frs2 Service;

First DC:

ProtSeq:ncacn_ip_tcp
Endpoint:5722
NetOpt:
Annotation:Frs2 Service
IsListening:YES
StringBinding:ncacn_ip_tcp:xondomain0[5722]
UUID:897e2e5f-93f3-4376-9c9c-fd2277495c27
ComTimeOutValue:RPC_C_BINDING_DEFAULT_TIMEOUT
VersMajor 1  VersMinor 0

Second DC:

ProtSeq:ncacn_ip_tcp
Endpoint:5722
NetOpt:
StringBinding:ncacn_ip_tcp:domain2[5722]
VersMajor 1  VersMinor 0

But on the Storage servers, which I'm more interested in as it's these that have the Endpoint Mapper problem, there are no such entries when scanned remotely with RPC Dump. No TCP/IP entries. However, Locally on each server if you run RPC Dump, you get more entries including NamedPipe entries, and This:

ProtSeq:ncalrpc
Endpoint:OLE7FE6229479DC4DFB9A4D3F3A64F8
NetOpt:
StringBinding:ncalrpc:storage1[OLE7FE6229479DC4DFB9A4D3F3A64F8]
VersMajor 1  VersMinor 0

So it seems like the DFS-R Service is not registering a TCP/IP (ncacn_ip_tcp) connection for the Service but It is registering one of type ncalrpc

I have tried;

1. Raising the MaxUserPort value to 65536 in the registry, but as I feared, made no difference. There are and were before, plenty of other services on the Storage Servers that showed up with rpcdump using ncacn_ip_tcp connections with TCP ports in the 45000 range.

2. Verified all the DNS stuff. But it's all correct. The issue isn't that the two servers are talking to the wrong server..there's just nothing (for DFS-R, at least) listening at the other end?

3. Various reboots and restarts of the DFS-R service on both Servers.

I'm really not sure what to try next. K2089874 Seems to suggest it might be an issue with the Application not successfully registering with the RPC Endpoint mapper, but perhaps I am misinterpreting what I see.

This forum post was useful in explaining how to use rpcdump to get the Information about the frs2 service, but only seems to state it should say Listening: Yes, and that Listening: No is bad - On these servers it's not in the list at all...

Can anyone give me some ideas what to try next?

• Edited by Phil Veale Wednesday, May 20, 2015 3:35 PM
May 20th, 2015 3:33pm

Hi Phil,

>>The Storage servers both show the DFRS Event 5002 - Error: 1753 (There are no more endpoints available from the endpoint mapper.)

Did we try to install the latest service pack and updates on all members of the replication group? If not, we can do this to see if it helps.

Regarding DFSR Event 5002, the following articles can be referred to as reference.

DFSR Event 5002 (DFS Replication)

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/wiki/contents/articles/1207.dfsr-event-5002-dfs-replication.aspx

Event 5002

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/support/ee/transform.aspx?ProdName=Windows+Operating+System&ProdVer=5.2.3790.1830&EvtID=5002&EvtSrc=DFSR&LCID=1033

Best regards,
Frank Shen

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 25th, 2015 4:19am

The servers are fully up to date as per Windows Update, and running Windows Server 2008 (not R2) with Service Pack 2. I don't think there is a more up to date SP, though I will check.

They were working OK before updates, some recent update seems to have nobbled it. Perhaps a rollback would make more sense, but I am not sure how to safely do that.

I've already been through the linked articles, they haven't been useful, as I stated, no firewalls, no possibility of network issues (topologically adjacent servers), and DNS all checks out.

May 25th, 2015 6:38pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics