DC froze - had to power cycle
I have a customer (small business) running Server 2003 SE. It's a DC and print server, runs SQL 2005, hosts roaming profiles, and has a LOB app. The hardware is an HP ML310 G5 with 4 CPUs and 4GB of RAM. It has a C: drive of 136GB with 40GB free. Yesterday during business hours the server froze. Customers first noticed that printing stopped and then their workstations locked up and were stuck at "applying personal settings". Our POC there tried to login to the console but that stuck at a blue screen with the cursor blinking. The only recourse was to power cycle it. Everything worked after that and no apparent damage has been noticed. I'm quite sure this is the first time this has happened but I'm concerned this might be the start of something although it could just be a random happening and won't happen again ever or in a long, long time. I looked in the Event Logs and in the System Log there are no entries for 2 hours prior to the power cycling and the last entries were printing. In the Application Log, there were only 2 entries for several hours prior to the power cycling. These occurred 9 minutes prior to the power cycling. Their source was Userenv and the IDs were 1058 and 1030. I don't believe these show anything to lead us to the cause of the lockup of the server but only show evidence of the system going into its locked state. Anyone have any ideas?
July 7th, 2010 9:18pm

i believe that its must be some type of hardware conflict occurs. open the server box and check is every thing ok. also test RAMs
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 7th, 2010 10:50pm

I'd watch the memory usage of some of the larger processes on the system, particularly the LOB application as I would suspect it the most if there is a memory leak. With all of those services on a single system, have you considered installing the Windows System Resource Manager, http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758506%28WS.10%29.aspx You could govern the memory usage of different services to ensure that they do not bring down the entire box. -- Mike Burr
July 7th, 2010 11:10pm

Hello, in addition to the others suggestions about the hardware, 1058 and 1030 can result on not correct DNS settings, so please post an uneditd ipconfig /all from the DC and also a client machine. It is also not recommended to run applications like SQL/Exchange on domain controllers, they should do only their basic job, AD/DNS/GC and if no other member server exist DHCP, that's it. And as you are maybe running into problems with the hardware i suggest to isntall a second DC/DNS/GC in the domain for failover and redundancy reason or at least make sure to have an up-to-date nackup at least of the system state of that DC.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2010 12:43am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics