DC and External Time Source Problem
I'm having all kinds of problems to get my DC to get the time for an external time source. This was working at one point and now all I get is: w32tm /resync Sending resync command to local computer... The computer did not resync because no time data was available. I have looked at the microsoft docs over and over and I'm not sure what the problem is. I don't think it is a firewall problem because on the same subnet with the same network linux machines can use ntp.pool.org as their time server with no problems. To configure the external source I did this: w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:"0.pool.ntp.org 1.pool.ntp.org pool.ntp.org",0x8 /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update I have also tried using 0x1 instead of 0x8 with no difference. I don't get what the problem might be. I have tried to telnet pool.ntp.org 123 with no luck but i'm not sure if that should work or not.
September 30th, 2009 11:04pm

Instead of using w32t, it's more common to follow this KB article when configuring the time source: http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/816042 Tony
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2009 12:28am

Not sure but if youhave checked the settings in registry. Ideally your DC should sync withtime.windows.com and then rest of the member servers should sync with your DC.HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\W32Time\Parameters\NtpServeralso try to force the time sync with the following1. net time /setsntp:Dcname2. Net stop w32time3. Net start w32timeRaj
October 1st, 2009 8:41am

Hello,never had problems with using following command:w32tm /config /manualpeerlist:PEERS /syncfromflags:manual /reliable:yes /update With "PEERS" you can set the time source, either DNS name (time.windows.com) or an ip address from a reliable time source. Here you can find some of them:http://www.pool.ntp.org/ Make sure you run it on the DC with thePDCEmulator FSMO, check with "netdom query fsmo".Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 1st, 2009 10:28am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics