DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer x.x.x.x using any of the configured protocols.
I get this message on a domain controller that i just put into production, running windows server 2008 r2, AD 2003. This gets generated almost everytime i reboot the server. It occurs 4 times in succession relating once to each of our external dns forwarders. I have checked that DCOM uses tcp/ip. I do not believe this to be impacting us significantly however i do prefer to know what this means and how to prevent it.Thanks
January 26th, 2010 11:40am

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the Event error 10009 stating “DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer %1 using any of the configured protocols” is received on the new DC. There is a problem accessing the COM Service on a remote computer. To resolve this problem: Ensure that the remote computer is online. This problem may be the result of a firewall blocking the connection. For security, COM+ network access is not enabled by default. Check the system to determine whether the firewall is blocking the remote connection. Other reasons for the problem might be found in the Extended Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Error information that is available in Event Viewer. For detailed information about the above steps, please refer to the following article: Event ID 10009 — COM Remote Service Availability http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774368(WS.10).aspx Does it work? If the problem continues, please collect the MPSReport from Windows Server 2008 R2. 1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below. Microsoft Product Support Reports http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Internet and Networking”,“Server Components”, click Next. 3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=a7031c4a-e8ca-48cd-bb5d-7727e2967780) Password: #PAxwF2A+1xvy[zj Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Thanks,Miles
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2010 4:42am

Hi, I just want to check if the information provided was helpful. If there is any update on this issue, please feel free to let me know. We are looking forward to your reply.
January 29th, 2010 4:15am

Miles,Thanks for the response. I never received an email notifying me of response, until the second post.I gathered the logs, and now have them uploaded.
January 29th, 2010 10:29am

Any update? You have the logs.
February 3rd, 2010 9:26am

>>Ensure that the remote computer is online. what do you do if the reason is that the computer is not online because the computer does not exist on the network any more. how do you stop COM from looking for it?
September 17th, 2011 1:58am

Hi There, I have a similar issue as above. Our Primary DPM server is throwing up an error "DCOM unable to communicate with the computer xxxxx using any of the configured protocols" But the computer in question no longer exists! how can we stop DCOM from reporting this. The computer is also showing up under available members when modifying a protection group - is there any way removing references to this computer manually form DPM. Any help appriciated.
September 20th, 2011 5:42am

Hi, Thanks for the post. From your description, I understand that the Event error 10009 stating “DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer %1 using any of the configured protocols” is received on the new DC. There is a problem accessing the COM Service on a remote computer. To resolve this problem: Ensure that the remote computer is online. This problem may be the result of a firewall blocking the connection. For security, COM+ network access is not enabled by default. Check the system to determine whether the firewall is blocking the remote connection. Other reasons for the problem might be found in the Extended Remote Procedure Call (RPC) Error information that is available in Event Viewer. For detailed information about the above steps, please refer to the following article: Event ID 10009 — COM Remote Service Availability http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc774368(WS.10).aspx Does it work? If the problem continues, please collect the MPSReport from Windows Server 2008 R2. 1. Download proper MPS Report tool from the website below. Microsoft Product Support Reports http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=CEBF3C7C-7CA5-408F-88B7-F9C79B7306C0&displaylang=en 2. Double-click to run it, if requirement is not met, please follow the wizard to download and install them. After that, click Next, when the "Select the diagnostics you want to run" page appears, select "General", “Internet and Networking”,“Server Components”, click Next. 3. After collecting all log files, choose "Save the results", choose a folder to save <Computername>MPSReports.cab file. For your convenience, I have created a workspace for you. You can upload the information files to the following link. (Please choose "Send Files to Microsoft") Workspace URL: (https://sftasia.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=a7031c4a-e8ca-48cd-bb5d-7727e2967780) Password: #PAxwF2A+1xvy[zj Note: Due to differences in text formatting with various email clients, the workspace link above may appear to be broken. Please be sure to include all text between '(' and ')' when typing or copying the workspace link into your browser. Thanks, Miles hi what do you mean "ensure computer is online"? i have the same issue, but again it is trying to dcom to external DNS servers (the DNS servers we have as forwarders in DNS where only dns queries are done). could you pls clarify why this access would be required? brgds Angelos
September 28th, 2011 10:01am

Then check AD and you will probablly find the computer still exists in which you need to delete the object.
October 20th, 2011 9:00am

Seeing the same issue, and neither AD nor DNS has any trace of the system referenced in the error. Any thoughts on that?
October 29th, 2011 2:42am

same, system is gone, and not in AD/DNS, where else could a reference exist?
November 23rd, 2011 7:51am

I also get the same error. I've looked exhaustively through AD and DNS, and have removed all references to the dead server. In my case, I've traced the DCOM requests to the Certificate Services Client scheduled task "SystemTask", which executes every 8 hours. It looks like everyone here is in essentially the same situation: a server died and a service on another server on the network is trying to contact it via DCOM. Somehow, the name of the dead server is hardcoded into the offending service. It'd be nice if someone from Microsoft could suggest a general way to remove the dead server name from such services. ~~Eugene
November 30th, 2011 3:11pm

I'm getting a whole bunch of these filling up my event log, historically we have had scavenging turned off (for some unknown reason). Have just turned this on; will keep all updated to see if these errors stop. JR
December 7th, 2011 10:04am

I'm on SBS 2011 that was migrated from SBS 2008. Old server gone (removed) and I'm getting DCOM errors in Event Log. Same boat as you guys, nothing in AD and DNS. I went to "Active Directory Administrative Center" and searched for offending server (changed scope to Global Catalog Search). Got two results. ADSI Edit and delete them. Now, wait and see. Dave
January 19th, 2012 3:05pm

I'm also having this issue, however it's for our ISP's DNS servers. They are both online and responding, but I'm not sure why DCOM would be attempting to contact external DNS servers.
February 8th, 2012 8:42pm

Holy Hannah! I'm not alone - ANYone find a way to stop my bleepin' SBS 2011 server from attempting DCOM connections to nonexistent (or, Linux) boxes?
February 20th, 2012 4:18pm

I have the same problem here in our university environment. The error logs are filling up on a number of computers. One thing these all have in common is that they were ghostcast. The DCOM error references the original name of the computer I gathered from. Windows XP SP3 boxes. Anyone have any luck fixing this? Brad
February 22nd, 2012 2:05pm

That regedit proposed above really didn't do much, and perhaps made my situation worse, because now I have no idea which computers we're getting the DCOM errors: Description: The description for Event ID 10009 from source DCOM cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.
February 22nd, 2012 2:18pm

I'm also having this issue, however it's for our ISP's DNS servers. They are both online and responding, but I'm not sure why DCOM would be attempting to contact external DNS servers. You are not alone. I have at least one client server that is receiving DCOM 10009 errors, and the IP addresses are of the server's external DNS forwarders. The server's DNS settings are fine, as are those of its NIC. Every search I've done points me to opening firewall settings for COM+ --the problem isn't the firewall settings (which I don't want to change), the problem is I don't want the DCOM behavior to be occurring in the first place. Everyone gets everything he wants. Me, I wanted to be a sysadmin. And for my sins --they made me one.
February 23rd, 2012 10:59am

I'm getting this problem on a MS SQL Server. I think it's trying to contact an old web server which has since been decommissioned and no longer exists. Did anyone find a solution to this problem?
March 6th, 2012 12:13pm

I have the same problem here in our university environment. The error logs are filling up on a number of computers. One thing these all have in common is that they were ghostcast. The DCOM error references the original name of the computer I gathered from. Windows XP SP3 boxes. Anyone have any luck fixing this? Brad Exact same issue here!! And I am unable to find an answer. Anyone at MS able to help? I have delted every printer, deleted every file/regkey etc that might possibly containg the orginal host name. I have ran ghostwalker, NewSid, etc. Nothing has worked.
March 15th, 2012 11:25am

I'm also having this issue, however it's for our ISP's DNS servers. They are both online and responding, but I'm not sure why DCOM would be attempting to contact external DNS servers. You are not alone. I have at least one client server that is receiving DCOM 10009 errors, and the IP addresses are of the server's external DNS forwarders. The server's DNS settings are fine, as are those of its NIC. Every search I've done points me to opening firewall settings for COM+ --the problem isn't the firewall settings (which I don't want to change), the problem is I don't want the DCOM behavior to be occurring in the first place. Everyone gets everything he wants. Me, I wanted to be a sysadmin. And for my sins --they made me one. I have the same issue...SBS2011 Essentials logging DCOM errors for all DNS forwarders
March 15th, 2012 11:45am

Can someone please "unmark as answer" Mr. Zhang's above post? It clearly is not an answer/resolution/explanation!
March 15th, 2012 12:46pm

Hi, Miles-- Not sure if you are still around at Microsoft, but there are major unanswered questions on this post. Why does DCOM continue to look for non-existent computers? In our case, the computers are on foreign domains to which we connected briefly through their VPN. Others question how to turn this off for particular nodes since those nodes are deleted from the Domain. If you could respond to these, we would be most grateful. Sincerely, Graeme
April 27th, 2012 6:12am

I replied to Mr. Zhang on our behalf. If everyone votes the reply as Helpful, maybe we can get Mr. Zhang (or someone at Microsoft) to take notice. Graeme
April 27th, 2012 6:13am

I am receiving this error not even from a windows box but from a 3com switch. WTF Microsoft. Could someone post a fix pls.
May 3rd, 2012 9:35am

Similir issue here, the error is pointing to my linksys router (home lab) and Google DNS server 8.8.8.8. These errors are not allowing me to setup my Exchange lab. arrrrgggghh. Ncruz1980
May 4th, 2012 3:19pm

Same here... My DNS servers are generating these events every often when trying to access external DNS forwardersMate
May 4th, 2012 3:42pm

Is this one of those issues with no fix? There has to be a way to find where the dcom service lists the computers it tries to communicate with.CPC Computers
May 12th, 2012 9:23am

Is this one of those issues with no fix? There has to be a way to find where the dcom service lists the computers it tries to communicate with.CPC Computers
May 12th, 2012 9:23am

Same here. Server 2008 R2 DC. DCOM errors (Event ID 1009) because it can't create an RPC connection to my DNS forwarder (OpenDNS)!?! WTH is it trying to do that?!?
June 2nd, 2012 9:14pm

Just wanted to add that we're also seeing this at multiple clients. I've posted the below in the MS Partner Forums but was met with a complete lack of interest in the issue or any information that was of use: Problem: Multiple servers are throwing DCOM 10009 errors in the System Log stating that "DCOM was unable to communicate with the computer <EXTERNAL DNS FORWARDER> using any of the configured protocols." Notes: The issue started occuring after May 13th 2012 when we patched our clients boxes.One common factor appears to be that KB2676562 was installed to all the servers at this point. (EDIT: having seen that people were experiencing this prior to this patch update I now suspect that this is irrelevant)The issue is affecting mulitple servers covering 2003, SBS2003, 2008 R2/SBS2011, all DC's, secondary DNS servers that are not DC's are not exhibiting the problem.There is an entry per DNS Forwarder in the System logs, these DNS Forwarders vary per client but generally include Google (8.8.8.8, 8.8.4.4), OpenDNS (208.67.222.222, 208.67.220.220) and two from each clients ISP which vary.It appears to be happening daily at approx 1490 minute (24hrs 50mins) intervals but one server is producing the errors far more frequently, every hour in two sets 10 minutes apart, this is a 2008 R2 box.No other DNS errors or issues are encountered in the logs or on the networks.Various people have also comment at the bottom of this thread. They appear to be experiencing the same issue. MS Article Link : http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winservergen/thread/353d381d-0911-41c3-98fb-2475b65c32f6 Any assistance appreciated in resolving. Additional: Extended info dump from one of the events on a SBS2011 server <Record#1: Computer=(null);Pid=144;6/5/2012 19:30:33:820;Status=1722;Gencomp=2;Detloc=1710;Flags=0;Params=1;{Param#0:0}> <Record#2: Computer=(null);Pid=144;6/5/2012 19:30:33:820;Status=1722;Gencomp=18;Detloc=1442;Flags=0;Params=1;{Param#0:8.8.8.8}> <Record#3: Computer=(null);Pid=144;6/5/2012 19:30:33:820;Status=1722;Gencomp=18;Detloc=323;Flags=0;Params=0;> <Record#4: Computer=(null);Pid=144;6/5/2012 19:30:33:820;Status=1237;Gencomp=18;Detloc=313;Flags=0;Params=0;> <Record#5: Computer=(null);Pid=144;6/5/2012 19:30:33:820;Status=10060;Gencomp=18;Detloc=311;Flags=0;Params=3;{Param#0:135}{Param#1:0}{Param#2:0x808080800000000}> <Record#6: Computer=(null);Pid=144;6/5/2012 19:30:33:820;Status=10060;Gencomp=18;Detloc=318;Flags=0;Params=0;>
June 11th, 2012 1:09pm

We're seeing the same error as Greg. Servers on multiple customer sites are connecting via port 135 to the Google DNS servers (configures as our forwarders) - would be great to get this nailed? Is it a configuration problem or a bug do you think? Edmund
June 21st, 2012 7:55am

I don't think it's a config problem...unless three dozen Microsoft articles are also wrong.
June 21st, 2012 4:55pm

Because this thread has been marked as "answered", I feel we should start a new one (with obvious links to this one). Anyone else agree?
June 22nd, 2012 10:17am

As an update to my post we've now tracked down the source of our issue. The offending article is our managed services software Labtech. It appears that the latest update must have introduced a monitor or script that is running on a regular basis that is causing these requests to happen at our clients sites, disabling it at one client last night knocked out the production of the errors. I'm following up with them to establish exactly which script/monitor is causing it and will report back, at least to let people know what mechanism is triggering it, in case there is something similar being run on your systems. Cheers Greg
June 22nd, 2012 1:56pm

Hi Greg, Interesting - we also use Labtech - I'll send a ticket in... Edmund
June 22nd, 2012 2:16pm

Nice find, Greg. We use LabTech too. I found this MS article(http://support.microsoft.com/kb/957713), but I am curious if you heard anything back from LT. Thanks for your persistence. -brad Solve IT Lakewood, CO
June 26th, 2012 12:30pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics