DCOM permission
June 1st, 2009 9:49pm

hi there, check the below link for windows xp http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx/kb/319624for windows 2003http://support.microsoft.com/kb/892500sainath windows driver development.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 2nd, 2009 5:35am

Hi, You can refer to the following article to reconfigure the DCOM security: Set Computer-wide COM Security Configuration http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc753355(WS.10).aspx if the issue persists, please let me know the following points: 1. What is the OS version of the server? 2. You mentioned that "You accidently remove local access DCOM permission for everyone group". Could you please describe the actions that you performed in detail? 3. You mentioned that "You lost pretty much all the rights on the system". Could you please describe the exact symptoms in detail? Please understand that as a last resort, you may need to reset the security of the whole system to the default state. How do I restore security settings to the default settings? http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;EN-US;313222 Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
June 2nd, 2009 9:36am

My server is windows 2003 SP2. I went to dcomcnfg - component services - computers - my computer -right click and go to properties, then click on COM Security - edit limits... under Access Permissions and accidently clear out or uncheck local access for everyone group. From that point on, I cannot have access to almost anything - most of the services are down even remote tool service is down too. How do I restore the COM security setting to default setting? The article in your link only show me how to restore security setting in windows XP - is it the same as in windows 2003 SP2? Thanks.
June 2nd, 2009 6:45pm

Hi, Thank you for the reply. I understand that you removed access permission for Everyone group. Now whats the result if you manually add the access permission for the Everyone group? For example, click the Edit Limits button under Access Permissions, click the Add button, type Everyone and click OK. Click Everyone under Group or user names , check all the boxes below Allow and click OK. You can use the same method to add permissions for the Everyone group for the Edit Limits button under Launch and Activation Permissions. Whats the result now? In addition, I have tested the fix tool in KB313222 and it could also work on my Windows Server 2003 machine. However, please be caution to use this tool as it will restore many security settings on your system to the default settings. If you do not have other important security settings configured on your computer, you can use it. Tim Quan - MSFT
June 3rd, 2009 7:10am

Thanks for the answer. The problem is I cannot even get access back to the dcomcnfg once the check mark is removed from everyone group. I think I saw a red arrow on the component service after I remove the permission.I don't know what the red arrow mean, but I cannot right click on the nodeand go backto reset the security setting under set limit... In my case, I think once I accidently remove the permission, the computer blocks access to everything for everyone.
June 3rd, 2009 11:37am

Hi, Thank you for the quick response. I reproduced this issue on my computer. After I removed the Everyone group from Access Permissions and reopen Component Services, a red arrow appeared on the My Computer icon and nothing happened when right-clicking My Computer and then clicking Properties. I performed a research on this issue and found a way to fix it. We can export the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole key from a working machine and import it to the problematic machine. For your convenience, I have uploaded this registry key to a FTP site. 1. You can download the repair.reg file from the following site: https://sftus.one.microsoft.com/choosetransfer.aspx?key=b0c1f30f-3a89-413c-8378-168ef99d9123 Password: !I++49ygIiqR 2. Double-click the repair.reg file to import the registry key on your problematic computer. Note: before importing the registry key, you may backup the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Ole key on your problematic computer first. 3. Please reopen Component Services. The red arrow should still appear. However, now you can right-click Computer and click Start MS DTC to remove the red arrow. 4. You should be able to access the Properties of My Computer in Component Services now. Please manually add the access permission for the Everyone group according to my previous post. Hope it helps. Tim Quan - MSFT
June 3rd, 2009 1:53pm

Excellent, thank you.I will keep this for future preference.Perhaps it only work if the computer is not restarted. I restarted my computer and I can't log in after the computer reboot. The mouse and keyboard stop working. Most services are down including remoting service. I had to end up rebuilding the server.
June 3rd, 2009 6:42pm

Does this file work? Can you re upload. I have the same problem
July 1st, 2009 2:34am

Do you still have this file to allow the reconfiguration of dcom cfg? As with bob1322, I experienced the same problem. Please help. Thank you.
March 27th, 2011 1:59pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics