DCOM Connection issue on Server 2008 R2 Standard
We are using StorageCraft as the backup solution for a Windows Server 2008 R2 (64Bit). Backups are running, but we are unable to connect to the StorageCraft manager from another server on the network. After working with StorageCraft support, the issue appears to be DCOM related. We used the DCOM testing tool mentioned in http://support.microsoft.com/kb/259011 and followed the steps in that article. The result we get when running the tool is: c:\test>TstClnt.exe targetserver.domain.local Client: Creating Instance...0.0567 seconds Client: CoCreateInstanceEx: Access is denied. (80070005) Client: Done c:\test> Any assistance is greatly appreciated.
April 21st, 2011 9:58am

Andy, Has StorageCraft had you check the COM security defaults and limits? You can check these by opening "Component Services" from Administrative Tools. In the Component Services MMC, right click My Computer and choose properties. Select the COM security tab. The settings I have on my Windows 7 workstation are: Access Permissions Limits: Everyone - Local Access, Remote Access Performance Log Users - Local Access, Remote Access Distributed COM Users - Local Access, Remote Access ANONYMOUS LOGON - Local Access Default: SELF- Local Access, Remote Access SYSTEM- Local Access Administrators - Local Access, Remote Access Launch and Activation: Limits: Everyone: Local Launch, Local Activation Administrators: Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation Performance Log Users: Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation Distributed COM Users: Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation Default: SYSTEM- Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation Administrators- Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation INTERACTIVE- Local Launch, Remote Launch, Local Activation, Remote Activation If yours already match what's above, is there anything logged in the event viewer when you attempt to connect?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 21st, 2011 11:04pm

Andrew, Thanks for your reply, our settings match yours and we are still unable to connect. Also, nothing is logged in event viewer when testing the DCOM connections. I think we'll be escalating this one to a support call with MS to get it resolved.
April 29th, 2011 2:18pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics