Custer dependency in Domain

Hi,

I have come across a confusing question

One of our customer environment is having only one Windows 2008 Domain Controller in entrire FOrest and Domain. We know that its design problem which need to be corrected on priority. But i got struct in answering some of the questions as

1) If i am running Windows 2008 Failover Cluster for SQL DB, what is the level of dependency on my Domain/Domain Controller.

2) If Single Domain Controller which is there in environment is failed due to hardware or OS problem then Failover Cluster Server will get impacted immediately or it will run some time? If it run some time and fail later then what is the stage it will get failed actually.

Pls suggest if you know any of these points, its good discussion point as well.

January 23rd, 2014 10:52am

Hi,

When you create Cluster , a virtual object must be created and able to communicate with all cluster node, this is one reason that all  members of cluster must be in the same domain.

It's recommended to have two RWDC, to ensure the availability of the domain, because when your single Domain Controller will be failed , you can't authenticate and open domain session , not only for server but also will impact PC.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 23rd, 2014 6:29pm

Windows cluster can only be created/configured in an AD domain environment.

As a best practice, you need to have more than one DC.  Otherwise this will be your single point of failure

January 23rd, 2014 7:05pm

Hi,

I agree that we need to have multiple RW Domain Controller in a Domain to follow best practice.

At this stage i wanted to reconfirm/know how Cluster will behave if Domain controller is failed and if there is no alternate Domain controller.

1) Does all cluster resource will fail immediately after Domain controller unavailability or it will run for some time. If it run for some time then which is the stage it wil get failed...ex: after 30 Min or during GP refesh etc.

2) Does cluster fail only when try to failover ?

There points are necessary to justify and qunatify the risk associated in environment, hence it will be great if any one can share the details.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
January 27th, 2014 12:17am

Hi,

In my experience with Cluster Hyper-v, when domain controller fail,the cluster continue running.

But i recommend you to test this scenario in your environment.

January 27th, 2014 5:55am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics