Current Windows Backup Location

Since Windows 7 doesn't have any built in space management in their backup utility, I'm looking to implement a scheduled script to delete any backups older than 1 month. There are 87 Windows 7 workstations that the script will be pushed out to. Currently the workstations have 2 internal hard drives. One SSD that their OS is running on and 2nd platter drive for storage and backup purposes. Full backups of the SSD drive are taken and stored on the platter drive which are just filling up and then the backups stop until you can manually delete the old backups. 

Most systems have the OS on C: and the backups on D: but some systems have the backup on E: or even F:

I'm looking for a way to detect which drive letter is currently being used for the backup or even which drive letter has the 1TB hard drive to then go in and delete old backups from the drive. 

Thanks

March 30th, 2015 3:58pm

Since Windows 7 doesn't have any built in space management in their backup utility, I'm looking to implement a scheduled script to delete any backups older than 1 month. There are 87 Windows 7 workstations that the script will be pushed out to.

With 87 workstations the only sensible course of action is to make users store their data on one or several servers and implement a robust server-based backup process. Having a workstation-based backup process is  only slightly better than no backup at all.

P.S. Windows backup maintains two copies of the backup folders. One is kept here:
C:\System Volume Information\Windows Backup\Catalogs\GlobalCatalog.wbcat
the other here:
G:\AHORN\Backup Set 2015-03-31 085441\Catalogs\GlobalCatalog.wbcat

Both are binary files. If your script deletes backup data then you are likely to end up with corrupted backup catalogs which can make data retrieval difficult.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 4:30pm

I definitely agree with Fred.  We always use server based files and redirect all user folders to the servers.  We then use a single backup to grab all users into the cloud for security. The days of the old flat backup are over.  Just heard a program on PBS claiming the end of tape and normal magnetic media.

I (and my clients) have been using central backup for over a decade.  Any workstation can go up in smoke and we just replace it.  The user logs in and everything is magically already there.  No more 1970s style backup and restore.  We archive everything and version it.  You can roll an document back to anywhere in time.

Hey! It's the 21st Century.  Come join us.   You will be amazed at how far technology has come.

March 30th, 2015 7:02pm

Since Windows 7 doesn't have any built in space management in their backup utility, I'm looking to implement a scheduled script to delete any backups older than 1 month. There are 87 Windows 7 workstations that the script will be pushed out to.

With 87 workstations the only sensible course of action is to make users store their data on one or several servers and implement a robust server-based backup process. Having a workstation-based backup process is  only slightly better than no backup at all.

P.S. Windows backup maintains two copies of the backup folders. One is kept here:
C:\System Volume Information\Windows Backup\Catalogs\GlobalCatalog.wbcat
the other here:
G:\AHORN\Backup Set 2015-03-31 085441\Catalogs\GlobalCatalog.wbcat

Both are binary files. If your script deletes backup data then you are likely to end up with corrupted backup catalogs which can make data retrieval difficult.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 30th, 2015 8:26pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics