Cube Measure does not show any data when drag and drop in Browser

Hi All,

I created SSAS cube in VS 2008 and have been able to deploy it successfully to the server. While creating the cube I was able to browse dimensions and all underlying tables just to make sure it has data. After deploying successfully when I drag and drop any measure group to browser it does not display anything.

The only thing I did different from straightforward cube building process was that when I created those measure groups the partitions that were created by default were giving me some unknown errors so I had to delete them in order for cube to process successfully. Did that made any difference because I thought partitions are for improving query performance and has nothing to do with cube processing errors.

Can someone help me on this?

August 26th, 2015 2:09pm

Hi Dee

Partitions are indeed for performance but also for Maintenance. The partitions contain all the "fact data" in you cube so if you removed the partitions then there is likely no data for analysis services to calculate.

It may be best to work with only a small amount of data and in a single partition until you know that you data model is working. when you are sure that you model is working you can bring in the rest of your data with more partitions.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 26th, 2015 3:16pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I created two partitions and was able to deploy cube successfully. Also I can see data in browser. But as soon as I create any one more partition it throws an error. It happens every time and when I remove that measure group cube processes successfully. I haven't changed anything in underlying table.

OLE DB error: OLE DB or ODBC error: Invalid object name 'dbo.....'.; 42S02.

Don't know why this is happening. 

• Edited by Dee25 9 hours 23 minutes ago
August 26th, 2015 5:49pm

The most significant message, I think, is the

OLE DB error.... Invalid object name 'dbo.vtblCubeStaff.

It appears that this error is thrown by SQL Server. Try executing the query in the folder "SQL Queries 1" just below the message. That's the query throwing this particular message.

Note, it looks like you might have deleted a view (or security rights) that the cube needs.

Hope that helps,

By the way, once you have your cube processed, if you are not seeing the data you expect look at this blog for reasons why data might be missing.

http://richardlees.blogspot.com.au/2011/09/why-are-there-less-data-in-cube-than.html

August 26th, 2015 7:50pm

Hi Michael,

Thanks for your reply. I created two partitions and was able to deploy cube successfully. Also I can see data in browser. But as soon as I create any one more partition it throws an error. It happens every time and when I remove that measure group cube processes successfully. I haven't changed anything in underlying table.

• Edited by Dee25 Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:44 PM
August 26th, 2015 9:33pm

Hi Michael,

• Edited by Dee25 Wednesday, August 26, 2015 9:44 PM
August 26th, 2015 9:33pm

Hi Dee25,

According to your description, when your drag any measure group into cube browser, it returns no data after deploy the project. Right?

When creating cube, it uses MOLAP storage mode by default, which means it will copy all the data from data source into multidimensional model structure. In this scenario, based on the error message, the issue is in the fact table. So if you explore data on dimension table, it will not throw any error. I guess that fact table 'dbo.vtblCubeStaff' has been modified in the source database after you create the data source view. And when you created one more partition, it executed the query in source relational database without finding 'dbo.vtblCubeStaff' table and threw error.

So please test the query for the new partition in SSMS, if it returns no data with same error. You need to update the Data Source View and recreate the Measure Group.

Reference:
Partition Storage Modes and Processing

Re

August 27th, 2015 6:11am

Thanks Richard for your reply. There was no changes in the view table or its security.
August 27th, 2015 4:15pm

Thanks Simon. I tried something this morning after reading one of the blogs and it is working so far for me. So what I did is First I deleted all the measure groups. Created measure group again using the same underlying table which I used earlier which gave error. And I got error message again. I clicked on Dimension Usage deleted reference dimension table (which referred to partition using table dbo.vtblCubeStaff) and recreated that reference dimension again. I processed cube and it was successful. I don't understand why this is happening. Now I am adding measure groups one by one and repeating the same process. So far it works for me. I checked data in browser and now it shows data in measure groups that I created.

But I still need to process full the entire database to see if that works finally.

• Edited by Dee25 10 hours 44 minutes ago
August 27th, 2015 4:26pm

Thanks Simon. I tried something this morning after reading one of the blogs and it is working so far for me. So what I did is First I deleted all the measure groups. Created measure group again using the same underlying table which I used earlier which gave error. And I got error message again. I clicked on Dimension Usage deleted reference dimension table (which referred to partition using table dbo.vtblCubeStaff) and recreated that reference dimension again. I processed cube and it was successful. I don't understand why this is happening. Now I am adding measure groups one by one and repeating the same process. So far it works for me. I checked data in browser and now it shows data in measure groups that I created.

But I still need to process full the entire database to see if that works finally.

• Edited by Dee25 Thursday, August 27, 2015 8:22 PM
August 27th, 2015 8:21pm

Hi All,

I was able to process full the entire database successfully. Now I am facing another problem. When I drag and drop measure groups into browser to check data( for eg each employee worked for how many hours) I get same numbers for every employee. So basically issue is im getting same data for everything when drag and drop measure group.

Any ideas?

August 28th, 2015 5:39pm

That would suggest that your Employee dimension is not connected to the measure group. Go into Dimension Usage tab and connect the dimension.
September 3rd, 2015 12:30am

Thanks Richard. Well, it was not only Employee Dimension that needed to be connected. There were some other dimensions that are related to or I can say common to other measure groups. For example in my case Date, Time, Job Skill, Status Hours etc. these all are related to every measure group in some way or the other so I had to connect these referenced dimensions as well. And it worked for me. Now I'm getting desired values.

• Marked as answer by Dee25 10 hours 19 minutes ago
September 3rd, 2015 5:06pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics