Cross Certificates and what to do with them
I was doing alright and then I came across this mad naming scheme which appeared when renewing my Root CA with a new key pair. I found an explanation on the specific naming here:- http://technet.microsoft.com/fr-fr/library/cc778802(WS.10).aspx I've found discussion on what the Cross Certificates generated when performing renewals with new key pairs are, as here:- http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserversecurity/thread/78146c8e-9557-4b3e-bd91-ff04bfa642cc but what am I to do with the Cross Certificates? In my 2 tier AD CS PKI, do I need to use certutil and use the -dspublish switch to push those certs into AD? Do I need those cross certs in the HTTP publish location also? Now I have a grasp on what these files with new suffixes are, what should I be doing with them? A little confused again. Sorry everyone! :( Regards Paul.
September 28th, 2010 7:17am

It depends on whether you have an offline root CA (workgroup-based, standalone root CA), or an online root CA (enterprise CA, or domain-joined standalone CA). If the CA s online (as defined above), the CrossCA certificates are automatically published. If offline, then run the following commands Certutil -dspublish -f Root(0-1).crt CrossCA Certutil -dspublish -f Root(1-0).crt CrosscA Certutil -dspublish -f Root(1).crt RootCA Brian
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2010 7:42am

Madness! Brian, do you ever leave these forums alone? ;) I've read both of your 2003 and 2008 MS Press books to the point where my ability to follow without practical experience shallowed, but I obviously did not read them well enough with all these questions I keep finding. Though there's a mention of the CrossCA certutil option in Chapter 16, but I can't find it anywhere else in the 2008 book. Hmm. Anyways, thanks for the reply, I'll go away and test until I get stuck again! Regards Paul.
September 28th, 2010 9:51am

I agree that Brian is a real asset to this forum.;-) I wonder if I could ask my own question relating to automatic root ca cross certificate generation... I was given some advice to disable auto root CA cross cert functionality as it was only for "legacy purposes" and given the following command to run: certutil -setreg ca\CRLFlags +CRLF_DISABLE_ROOT_CROSS_CERTS With this set, a root CA cert renewal (with new keys) didn't create all the (0-1) and (1-0) business which seemed clean, however, I'm not sure I fully understand the consequences of not having these extra certificates. Can anyone advise. Thanks, Brian (not the clever one)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 29th, 2010 3:59am

Sounds like a question I might have in a few days! Yes, I'd be interested to hear any advice on this too. Regards Paul.
September 29th, 2010 4:04am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics