Creating classes

We've got SCOM 2012 SP1 and I'm trying to create a class (per the recommendation in this blog post). I have installed the SCOM 2007 R2 Authoring Console and I think I have the appropriate rights. Trying to follow these directions to create the class, I can't get past step 2. I have no option to create a new server role.

Will someone please point me in the right direction so I can create the thing the blog author created: 

Thanks.

June 11th, 2014 3:59pm

What are you trying to do?  What are your requirements.  Post them and I will help you.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
June 11th, 2014 8:42pm

Step one is to "First we need to make a custom class that extends the Microsoft.Windows.InternetInformationServices.2008.ServerRole class". Then I'll need to add properties to it."
June 12th, 2014 9:49am

Any thoughts on how I should handle this?

June 16th, 2014 9:55am

Got your note.  I will see what I can do tomorrow. If you like, PM me via email.
June 18th, 2014 12:09am

By any chance, are you looking for this?

June 18th, 2014 3:24am

Yeah, I don't have all those options. My only options are Properties and Refresh. I assume, then, that I'm missing a permission. Any ideas what I need? Or maybe I'm not connected to the database? 

I thought that maybe I need to import an MP, so I tried importing our IIS override MP, but the tool says, "Referenced management pack not found". Related?

June 19th, 2014 10:47am

That screenshot from above is from the Authoring Console, not the Ops Manager Console, so I am guessing you are creating a new class in the Authoring part of the Ops Manager Console?  This could be part of the problem, as I suspect the original walk through was using the Authoring Console in the example.
June 19th, 2014 11:09am

Nope, I installed the Authoring Console and I see the same layout as the screenshot shows.

June 19th, 2014 11:41am

Please click on "Classes" first and then click in the right hand side 'white pane'
June 19th, 2014 12:04pm

You also need to create an empty management pack first

File -> New -> Empty MP

June 19th, 2014 12:10pm

Step one is to "First we need to make a custom class that extends the Microsoft.Windows.InternetInformationServices.2008.ServerRole class". Then I'll need to add properties to it."
Do not "extend" a class - it's a misnomer, and you will have mixed results when applying overrides to those instances. What you're actually doing is creating a typed class, which branches away from the seed in which you need to apply overrides. It's a frankenstein solution which could be handled much more elegantly by creating groups based on this article.
July 22nd, 2014 7:10pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics