Creating System Restore Points in Windows Server 2012

Searching for "Create a restore point" on Windows Server 2012, brings up a link that when clicked takes you to System Properties. Once there, there is no System Protection tab or option to create a system restore point. Windows Server Backup is installed and functioning.

Is this feature available in Windows Server 2012? Was it replaced with Shadow Copies for Shared Folders?

Thanks for any insight you can provide.

February 5th, 2013 9:38pm

Are you looking for a system restore point or the ability to retrieve earlier versions of user files from a share?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 5th, 2013 11:56pm

Restore points have nothing to do with shadow copies or server backup. They are simply system restore points, not data backup.
February 6th, 2013 6:47am

Hence my question, since the title and the content of the original post seemed to be going in different directions.

To my knowledge, there is not system restore point in Windows Server.

February 6th, 2013 6:00pm

It could be found in Windows 8 client system in System Properties but not Windows Server 2012.

This page provide a screenshot of Windows 8:

http://blogs.msdn.com/b/zxue/archive/2012/03/09/windows-8-how-to-29-restore-system-to-a-previous-state-using-restore-point.aspx

In order to create a backup of whole system you could perform a backup by checking "system state" in Windows Server Backup.

February 11th, 2013 5:39am

Tim, Sorry for the confusion on the title. You are correct, there is no Create System Restore Point in Windows Server 2012. That is what I was looking for. I"m working on an eval install and came acorss a link in the help file that points you to the tab that used to be called System Protection. It must be something that was overlooked and will eventually be removed. Thanks for your response.
February 11th, 2013 5:47am

Shaon Shan, Thanks for your reply and the link. Much appreciated. By the way, a system state does not backup a whole system. I think you meant to say, a Full Backup? Anyway, thank you for taking the time to respond to my question.
  • Proposed as answer by comp-service Wednesday, August 13, 2014 11:11 AM
February 11th, 2013 5:48am

Thanks Bill
February 11th, 2013 5:49am

Dear Tim, Shaon,

do you both really consider yourselves content with this answer and state of things? NO system restore points in servers? We have them since windows 2k I guess, we have additionally VM checkpoints, but NO such option for the hypervisor itself? Are you nuts? Do you want me to backup the Hyper-V Host each time I install updates or new drivers?

You both as MS partner and MSFT CSG have the responsibility to feedback the sleeping monster when it is wrong in the garret.

I am a MCITP:EA and implementing MS software solutions over 10 years, but I am not blind to see that this mishandle or other current functionality cutoffs are wrong!

Sincerely

January 16th, 2014 8:01am

Very well said Boian.

Thank you, in the name of all the Windows server users.

February 6th, 2014 4:02pm

25th January 2012
March 13th, 2014 10:49pm

I just want to restore my laptop to the 25th of January 2012
March 13th, 2014 11:02pm

Are you looking for a system restore point or the ability to retrieve earlier versions of user files from a

April 15th, 2014 1:30am

Why not simply add the Windows Server Backup feature and create scheduled backups?

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/data-center/how-to-restore-a-system-image-in-windows-server-2012/

July 8th, 2014 7:49pm

Obviously because it's heaven and earth. Read a little bit more about SAN or VHD snapshots and you'll grasp the difference. Probably.
August 13th, 2014 9:42pm

HI,

To create a system restore point, run msconfig.exe, that will launch a UI, click the tools tab, select system restore, that should invoke a UI which asks if you want to  restore to an earlier version or do you want to create a new restore point. I clicked "create a new restore point" The problem that I ran into is that when I click that button is I receive the error: can't find "C:\Windows\System32\rstrui.exe". That's the .exe which supports the "Create / restore point' processes. I posted a question about the missing .exe on the windows > windows 8.1 > Repair and recovery forum and was told to post it here. :>) The subject title of that post is "rstrui.exe Create a system restore point on windows server 8 Standard". That post documents the steps that I followed trying to create a system restore point. (FYI: I'm not trying to backup any drives. I know what a system restore point is and what backup is. They are two different animals). I want to create a restore point prior in order to prep for installing an App. So, If a problem occurs; the registry keys and app files can be backed out to some extent. BTW: Create system restore point on windows 8.1does work perfectly well, there's a different UI. I just didn't know where to post the initial problem.regards,Steve

March 6th, 2015 5:33pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics