Creating Hyper-V 2012 cluster with SCVMM2012/Windows 2012 - The cluster creation failed because of error Network...

Windows 2012 and SCVMM 2012

2 X Hyper-V 2012 Standalone hosts, each one with a single NIC for management/VM traffic and two NICs each for iSCSI.

Equallogic SAN with two LUNs, one for CSV and one for Quorum.

I've configured the two Hyper-V hosts with two NICs each on the iSCSI network,  with the Dell EQL MPIO stuff and configured the iSCSI initiators on both so they can see the LUNs.

I've added both hosts to SCVMM.

When I create a Hyper-V cluster I provide an IP and choose the LUN I want to be the CSV and mark it as so.  The other LUN is automatically selected as the witness since it's small.

The cluster configuration fails with "The cluster creation failed because of Network 172.26.227.0/24 has already been specified.  That subnet is my iSCSI subnet.

Anything obvious I'm missing here?  Being a VMWare guy I tend to look at things from that angle and look for similarities so maybe I have blinders on.

September 27th, 2012 10:54pm

After a little bit of digging my theory is this is being caused by the fact that you'd normally exclude your iSCSI network from being added as a cluster resource when you are manually setting up the cluster with FailOver Cluster Manager.  However, since VMM 2012 is managing the cluster creation I haven't been able to figure out how to tell it to exclude that network.

Am I getting warm?

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 28th, 2012 8:22pm

Did you get an answer. I have exactly the same issue
July 2nd, 2013 2:23pm

Have you created logical network for your iSCSI network in VMM, and associated them with the right physical NICs on the hosts?.

Are you using standard switch or logical switch on your hosts?

(here's a link on how to configure nic teaming and QoS with VMM: http://blogs.technet.com/b/privatecloud/archive/2013/04/03/configure-nic-teaming-and-qos-with-vmm-2012-sp1-by-kristian-nese.aspx )

by following the link above, this should work fine.

-kn

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 3rd, 2013 11:52pm

you can do a validation out of vmm firstly get the error.

1. If your server install FCM<failover clustering management>, you can do it with UI or powershell.

Powershell command:

Test-Cluster -Node node1,node2<your server name>

If you hit the error when do validate OOB, you should fix the issue, then you can create cluster success in VMM.

My Experince with network error:

if there have more than 1 physics network adapter in your server, you can disable all the nic except the one connected to intertnet. then you can't hit the network issue.

Hope this can help u.

July 4th, 2013 5:31am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics