Creating Failover Cluster within HA VM's fails despite successful validation
Purpose:
To create a Failover SQL Cluster using 2 High Avaliable Virtual Machines

Scenario:
- twoHA VM's (W2K8 Enterprise Full) running ontwo Bare Metals (W2K8 Enterprise Core);
- iSCSI SAN: VHD's ofVM's are on LUNs exposed to the hosts;
- both VM's have access to aLUN, made available using iSCSI initiator within the guests (no pass-through);

Problem:
Validation of the configuration for the SQL Cluster is succesful (not even a warning);
Creating the cluster fails:

Cluster: SN-SQL-CLUSTER
Node: sn-sql01.amsterdam.schepnet.local
Node: sn-sql02.amsterdam.schepnet.local
IP Address: 10.10.11.1
Started 7/25/2008 11:52:45 AM
Completed 7/25/2008 11:52:46 AM

Beginning to configure the cluster SN-SQL-CLUSTER.
Initializing Cluster SN-SQL-CLUSTER. Validating cluster state on node sn-sql01.amsterdam.schepnet.local. Searching the domain for computer object 'SN-SQL-CLUSTER'. Creating a new computer object for 'SN-SQL-CLUSTER' in the domain. Configuring computer object 'SN-SQL-CLUSTER' as cluster name object. Validating installation of the Network FT Driver on node sn-sql01.amsterdam.schepnet.local. Validating installation of the Cluster Disk Driver on node sn-sql01.amsterdam.schepnet.local. Configuring Cluster Service on node sn-sql01.amsterdam.schepnet.local. Validating installation of the Network FT Driver on node sn-sql02.amsterdam.schepnet.local. Unable to successfully cleanup. To troubleshoot cluster creation problems, run the Validate a Configuration wizard on the servers you want to cluster. An error occurred while creating the cluster. An error occurred creating cluster 'SN-SQL-CLUSTER'. The service has not been started.

Which service cannot be started?
What could be the reason?
July 25th, 2008 9:56am

Did you install the Failover Cluster Feature on node sn-sql02 ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 29th, 2008 8:46am

I am having a similar issue on 2 physical machines on a fiber Channel SAn and am finding little on the web about it. Both machines are 2008 Ent x64 and both have Failover cluster features installed (same Windows updates too). My quorum partition is 1GB and is visable from both servers. Quorum is a BASIC MBR NTFS drive. Validation passes 100%, but when setting up the cluster I receive the unable to successfully cleanup error.
August 4th, 2008 6:55pm

Yeah, this is a tough one and you may not be able to t-shoot here...but......

OK, so tell me if you are running in a disjoint DNS namespace first.

The, you will need to dump the cluster log for us by using the CLI. Dump it on the nude where you are trying to create the cluster. Syntax is cluster.exe . log /gen

The log will be placed in %systemdrive%\cluster\reports.

Open the log and near the end of the log you will be looking for problems with the cluster name. There may be issues reported that look like an impersonation problem where a vstoken cannot be obtained.

Like I said this will be tough to t-shoot in the forum but will will give it a shot.

Chuck

August 17th, 2008 2:03pm

I was actually seeing this problem a few minutes ago, the problem on the offending node was that the "microsoft failover virtual cluster adapter" was disabled you can see these adapters in device manager. Go to view show hidden devices if they are not visible. We may or may not be having the same issue but fixing this resolved my problem, hope this helps.

Regards,

Hector
  • Proposed as answer by wrighter34 Monday, May 21, 2012 2:46 PM
August 18th, 2008 7:30pm

i

I have issue in configuration of cluster,  on windwos 2008 en. at last step, i get error

"An error occurred creating cluster 'WINCLU'. The network location cannot be reached"
And
Unable to successfully cleanup

I suspect this is due to DHCP is enabled on cluster adapter
Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection* 11:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
   Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
   Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Microsoft Failover Cluster Virtual Adapte
r
   Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 02-1E-37-46-3E-A8
   DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
   Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

initially i installed cluster with dhcp enabled and again i uninstalled and reinstalled with static ip but did not help

is there way to disable it since we will not have interface to virtual adapter

April 29th, 2010 6:13am

I believe this is a known issue. Install this hotfix on all servers to be part of the cluster and reboot. Please create the cluster afterwards.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/978309 IPv6 transition technologies, such as ISATAP, 6to4 and Teredo do not work on a computer that is running Windows Server 2008 R2 Server Core

March 22nd, 2011 7:24am

Hi,

I had the same problem. Tray to remove all virtual networks and remove Failover Cluster feature. Then enable Failover Clustering feature before creating any virtual networks.

Skirmantas

June 3rd, 2011 12:39pm

Hi there,

Check out this one: http://www.nextadmins.com.br/solucao-erro-ao-tentar-adicionar-um-no-em-um-cluster-existente/

It's in portuguese but you can translate it.

August 13th, 2015 9:45pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics