Creating AD Domain

Dear Sir,

It's the first Domain Controller I will create for this Company.

It's Win Server 2008 R2 Std edition.

The company website name is www.vcg.com.sa  (Saudi Arabian Company).

The Question now is: can I create a domain name with the same name : "vcg.com.sa"  , is it legal for Microsoft?? would any troubles will face me while joining clients to this domain with this name? or may any other troubles could appear because of this name?

The reason for thinking of naming the AD domain with this name is that:

The company has an Office 365 account with the same domain name and it has users created on this account we need to create an AD on premises and make an integration between the AD and the Office 365 Account in order to make use of the Single Sign-on facility, such a task need the two domains be identical in order for the users here and there to have the same UPN.

If you have any ideas that help that would be appreciated.

Thanks and Best Regards,

March 29th, 2015 1:00pm

The Question now is: can I create a domain name with the same name : "vcg.com.sa"  , is it legal for Microsoft??

No problem with that.

You just need to be aware that if your internal domain name is the same as your external DNS name then you will need to maintain a split-DNS setup: This means that whenever you create a public DNS record, you will need to do that on your external DNS zone and internal one.

would any troubles will face me while joining clients to this domain with this name? or may any other troubles could appear because of this name?

No. Just refer to my previous note.

The reason for thinking of naming the AD domain with this name is that:

The company has an Office 365 account with the same domain name and it has users created on this account we need to create an AD on premises and make an integration between the AD and the Office 365 Account in order to make use of the Single Sign-on facility, such a task need the two domains be identical in order for the users here and there to have the same UPN.

Having the same domain name is not required. You can have a different domain name and add a UPN suffix to your forest: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/243629?wa=wsignin1.0

Once done, you can create your users with the new UPN suffix you added.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 29th, 2015 7:20pm

Hope Mr Ahmed already clarified your questions. I would also recommednd you to understand more about the SSO facilty in AD Intergarted enviornment of 365.

You may also browse below url for more clarity.

https://support.office.com/en-gb/article/Office-365-integration-with-on-premises-environments-263faf8d-aa21-428b-aed3-2021837a4b65?ui=en-US&rs=en-GB&ad=GB

hope it helps.

Regards,

Biju Kurup

March 29th, 2015 8:57pm

In addition, as a general naming decision, my blog may be able to assist in choosing a name.

Whats in an Active Directory DNS Name? Choosing the Same As Your Public Domain Name, a ".net" Version of Your Public Name, or ".local"
Updated 10/21/2014
http://blogs.msmvps.com/acefekay/2009/09/07/what-s-in-an-active-directory-dns-name-choosing-a-domain-name/

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 29th, 2015 11:04pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics