Create vSwitch on Windows 2012 Hyper-V host from VMM 2012 SP1

I try to create a virtual switch on a Windows Server 2012 host that is in a Hyper-V cluster from VMM 2012 SP1, but just get the error you see under. Anyone solved this?

Error (2912)

An internal error has occurred trying to contact the test-hv01.test.local server: : .

WinRM: URL: [http://test-hv01.test.local:5985], Verb: [GET], Resource: [http://schemas.microsoft.com/wbem/wsman/1/wmi/root/scvmm/ErrorInfo?ID=1003]

Unknown error (0x80041008)

Recommended Action
Check that WS-Management service is installed and running on server test-hv01.test.local. For more information use the command "winrm helpmsg hresult". If test-hv01.test.local is a host/library/update server or a PXE server role then ensure that VMM agent is installed and running. 

C:\Users\administrator.test>winrm qc
WinRM service is already running on this machine.
WinRM is already set up for remote management on this computer.

November 9th, 2012 1:47pm

Hi,

could you provide to us the name of the cluster and the vswitch? 

Remember SP1 of SC2012 is until now in Beta version, don't try it in your production environment!

Best regards

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
November 12th, 2012 11:42pm

Hi,

The cluster name is "TEST-HVC01" and the vSwitch is named "vSwitch"

I know that the software is in beta. So this might be a bug. I'm just testing it out because we are going to upgrade over system in the next year. 

By the way, do you know of any good documentation for the new networking in VMM2012 SP1?

Br,
Stian

November 13th, 2012 9:26am

Hi,

Until now I cannot find a pretty cool documentation for what's new in networking in SP1 Beta. This link is an introduction for that and seems good : 

http://msandbu.wordpress.com/2012/09/15/virtual-machine-manager-2012-sp1-beta-network-fabric/

Best Regards,

November 14th, 2012 1:13pm

Have you created the vSwitch in Hyper-V prior to adding your hosts and clusters into VMM?

Make sure that the firewall is not blocking communication between VMM and Hyper-V. You can test this (once you have verified that winrm is running) by disabling the firewall - all profiles and try the operation again.

November 14th, 2012 3:55pm

Hi Kristian,

Yes I tried to do that, but I have also removed it and tried to do everything from VMM. What is the best way to do this? I have disabled the firewall in my lab.

I think I have to read some more documentation, (or maybe I should go over to vmware...)

November 15th, 2012 1:56pm

Hi,

Release of SP1, I'm getting the same error. Do you have any idea?
January 13th, 2013 8:28am

Curious, are you creating an external or logical switch? I'm just in the process of setting up the first set of hosts with the sp1 server and i've come across several instances of strange behavior. Also, are you sharing this network with the host? I'd be interested in the ops configuration as well. I'm going to document all the behavior i've encountered and post it for comment.
  • Edited by mud5150 Wednesday, January 16, 2013 6:54 AM
January 16th, 2013 9:54am

Sorry, I just formatted the server and tried VMware - so I never fixed the problem. I don't remember the setup. This was only in a lab for a few days.

January 16th, 2013 1:03pm

Looks like a similiar, if not the same issue. http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/virtualmachingmgrhyperv/thread/601ae39e-0c37-4ebc-9e84-a855ca6061a7 
January 30th, 2013 12:52am

Virtual Machine Management uses WinRM for all communication to the Hyper-V hosts, it's normally comms error somewhere. I can also be caused by Native Port Profiles, it happened to me.

Can you still access the host after receiving this error message?

April 8th, 2013 2:55pm

Hi,

if you used a Teaming card to create vswitch, Hyper-V try to create the vswitch and arround 99% failed because he try to shutdown the adaptater and scvmm lost the connexion. I'm a newbie on Hyper-V 2012 and SCVMM 2012 SP1 but I have this problem with Teaming card. The problem doesn't happen with a simple card. The best practice advises to dedicated an adapter to managment and create the network on other Nic.

I hoped to have been usefull.

Seitosan

April 10th, 2013 11:10am

Hi, Stians

I had the same problem and I think that I found the solution , can you please tell me the following :

1. How many adapters at you Host ?

2. what are the names of your adapters ?

2. do you have any External Virtual Switch with enable management ?

April 12th, 2013 2:23pm

Hello,

I have solved this problem with 2 Network cards. I remove Hyper-V, I join the adapters on a teaming and create a new interface through Virtual Team. After that, I install the Hyper-V Role. During the installation, the wizard create a virtual switch on my first teaming. 

However, I do this directly on Hyper-v without SCVMM. When I join Hyper-V to scvmm, the Virtual switch appear on the interface. 

I hope this help you

regards,

Valentin

April 26th, 2013 1:34pm

In my case this was because the NICs I was trying to add to the new Virtual Switch were already part of a Windows native NIC team left over from a previous Virtual Switch.

See http://rcmtech.wordpress.com/2013/05/15/vmm-2012-sp1-create-virtual-switch-fails-with-unknown-error-0x80041008/

• Proposed as answer by robincm2 Wednesday, May 15, 2013 2:50 PM
May 15th, 2013 5:49pm

After spending 5 solid days working on this, I found the issue to be that I had renamed my NIC's to an unsupported name.  My NIC names were

[NIC1] Management
[NIC2] VM Comms
[NIC3] VM Comms
[NIC4] ClusterHeartbeat

Seems if you remove the brackets the error no longer appears.  Hopefully it may help you with your error.  if in doubt use the default names!

//Christopher.

January 16th, 2014 7:31am

After spending 5 solid days working on this, I found the issue to be that I had renamed my NIC's to an unsupported name.  My NIC names were

[NIC1] Management
[NIC2] VM Comms
[NIC3] VM Comms
[NIC4] ClusterHeartbeat

Seems if you remove the brackets the error no longer appears.  Hopefully it may help you with your error.  if in doubt use the default names!

//Christopher.

January 16th, 2014 3:27pm

[NIC1] Management
[NIC2] VM Comms
[NIC3] VM Comms
[NIC4] ClusterHeartbeat

//Christopher.

January 16th, 2014 3:27pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics