Create folder in Outlook and move contents to it

Hi all

We have Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 and Exchange 2003 and the following

We need to create a folder in Outlook called "whatever" and move all the contents of the Sent Items folder into the folder called "whatever". If the Sent Items folder has a substructure like 2013, 2012 and 2011 this structure must be retained under the folder called "whatever"

Is this possible with powershell?

May 2nd, 2013 2:42pm

this is how i would create a new folder under my inbox folder

Add-Type -AssemblyName microsoft.office.interop.outlook
$olFolders = "Microsoft.Office.Interop.Outlook.OlDefaultFolders" -as [type]
$outlook = New-Object -ComObject outlook.application
$namespace = $Outlook.GetNameSpace("mapi")
$inbox = $namespace.getDefaultFolder($olFolders::olFolderInbox)
$newFolder = $inbox.Folders.Add("Test")
$MoveTarget = $inbox.Folders.item("Test")

then to move you can do something like
$i = $null
foreach($item in $inbox.items){
$i = $item | where {$_.subject -like "printer_686*"}
$i.Move($MoveTarget)
}
will give you your sent folder

$namespace.getDefaultFolder(5)
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2013 6:12pm

Thank you very much for taking the time to write something up for me. I have Outlook 2010 Pro on my pc and copied your code into PowerGui and run it from there. I then get the error below :

I then close Outlook and try again after which the Wizard comes up to create a new Outlook/Exchange Account. This i did cancell as it will create chaos if users must get that screen :). Any idea why the syntax does not work?

New-Object : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80080005 Server execution failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80

080005 (CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE)).

At line:259 char:22

+ $outlook = New-Object <<<<  -ComObject outlook.application

+ CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [New-Object], COMException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoCOMClassIdentified,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

You cannot call a method on a null-valued expression.

At line:260 char:35

+ $namespace = $Outlook.GetNameSpace <<<< ("mapi")

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (GetNameSpace:String) [], RuntimeException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : InvokeMethodOnNull

At line:261 char:37

+ $inbox = $namespace.getDefaultFolder <<<< ($olFolders::olFolderInbox)

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (getDefaultFolder:String) [], RuntimeException

At line:262 char:32

+ $newFolder = $inbox.Folders.Add <<<< ("Test")

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (Add:String) [], RuntimeException

At line:263 char:34

+ $MoveTarget = $inbox.Folders.item <<<< ("Test")

+ CategoryInfo          : InvalidOperation: (item:String) [], RuntimeException

May 3rd, 2013 8:34am

outlook needs to be running when this code is executated locally, is the mailbox not setup i dont know why wizard is poping up..

if you want an alternative server side cmdlets you need to look at http://help.outlook.com/140/dd575549.aspx

there are couple steps you need to do to set them up

May 6th, 2013 6:35pm

Thanks ImMax

I did run the script in PowerGui while Outlook was open and got the error in Red which i did paste earlier so that did not work

May 7th, 2013 10:08am

Also, the link you posted when I look at it, it looks as if it is for Exchange 2007 and up. We have Exchange 2003 SP2
May 7th, 2013 10:09am

I am having the same problem when trying to work off of the examples on this technet thread: http://blogs.technet.com/b/bill_long/archive/2010/04/06/accessing-the-information-store-from-powershell.aspx

I open with:

$outlook = new-object -com Outlook.Application

and get back:

new-object : Retrieving the COM class factory for component with CLSID {0006F03A-0000-0000-C000-000000000046} failed due to the following error: 80080005 Server execution failed (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80080005 (CO_E_SERVER_EXEC_FAILURE)).

At line:1 char:12

+ $outlook = new-object -com Outlook.Application

+            ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

+ CategoryInfo          : ResourceUnavailable: (:) [New-Object], COMException

+ FullyQualifiedErrorId : NoCOMClassIdentified,Microsoft.PowerShell.Commands.NewObjectCommand

Does anyone know what  we are doing wrong?

July 1st, 2013 7:40pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics