Create and auto-configure Outlook 2013 profile based on active directory user
Is it possible to create and automatically configure an Outlook 2013 profile based on a user account in active directory? If not, is there an out-of-the-box solution for this? I have seen some information about applying group policy settings but it does default settings, not user-specific (signatures, out of office replies, categories, rules, nk2). I'm happy to provide more information if required.
August 28th, 2015 12:47am

Hi,

I'm not exactly sure what if it's what you are asking for, but there are tools like Adaxes that can automate the creation of Exchange mailboxes and configure them based on the AD user: http://www.adaxes.com/exchange_management-automation

However if you need to setup signatures, out of office replies, etc. directly in Outlook 2013, I'm not sure you can do that out of the box. Also, are you planning to store information like signatures in AD? Otherwise I don't understand how are you going to automatically apply it based just on AD user accounts. Clarifying that might help a lot.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
August 28th, 2015 1:59am

I am also not quite sure about your request. On Exchange server side, we have a service called Autodiscover which can be used to automatically configures user profile settings for clients. If the Outlook client is joined to a domain, the user's domain account in Active Directory is used.

As far as I know, the Autodiscover service returns the users display name, location of the users Mailbox server, Outlook Anywhere server settings, etc to the client (Outlook 2007 or newer). This is basically the default settings that you are referring to.

Actually, most of the user-specific info mentioned in your question is, by default, stored in user mailbox (Exchange server side). After being configured by Autodiscover, the user profile will sync with the mailbox to get the data.

Hope this helps. 

Regards,

Eth

September 1st, 2015 1:38am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics