Create a disk imaging technology to capture everything

Hi guys,

i would like to share with you my experience as i want to format my server with windows server enterprise 2008 R2 in order to redistribute all role installed on, and to avoid any unexpected event failure, i need to create a dedicated image on a disk to capture everything .

Can you help for my choice and advice for the suitable software for this matter .

Appreci

July 8th, 2013 5:36am

Probably Windows Backup or many of 3rd party software would do the job. You might try Disk2vhd to capture all server data to a VHD file. Once you have a VHD file, you can mount it on any other workstation/server without using 3rd party tools or you can boot it as a virtual machine in Hyper-V.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 8th, 2013 5:41am

thank you for your support .

Basically, i have no Hyper V on my server . Is the Disk2vhd will do the job as I'm scared that i can't recover my data if a failure happen .

thank you .

July 8th, 2013 5:53am

Hyper-V is not required for this to work. You can try this tool and once the VHD is ready, try mounting it on a different computer to be sure everything's OK before proceeding with your changes.
July 8th, 2013 6:09am

thank you for your advice.

I will try then will return to you .

July 8th, 2013 6:18am

Hi Guys,

What I'm thinking, how we can boot from the VHD file when we format the server as i know virtualization doesn't support removable media .

please advice .

July 8th, 2013 5:30pm

Hi,

This article provided detailes steps to boot to a VHD file:

http://blogs.technet.com/b/chrisavis/archive/2013/05/03/boot-to-vhd-configuring-creating-a-reusable-trial-version-image-and-more.aspx

Specifically you will need to copy the VHD file to local drive in order to mount it as a vurtual disk.

July 11th, 2013 5:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics