Could you please suggest how can I Migrate a windows 2003 32bit cluster to a Windows 2003 64 bit cluster?
Hi, We got a requirement to migrate a windows 2003 32 bit cluster to windows 2003 x64 bit cluster. We suggested to go for windows 2008 cluster to use migration wizard, but customer needs it on Windows 2003 x64 bit. It's a File share cluster. We planned to do it in below method. Could you please check and suggest is the only way we have or any easy alternate methods..??? Thanks! Sunil Kumar D There is a customer requirement of migrating a 2 node windows 2003 32 bit cluster to a windows 2003 64 bit cluster with same hardware & SAN storage. It hosts file shares with approx 15 TB of data. It can be easily migrated to windows 2008 cluster as we have cluster migration wizard, but here customer requirement is to migrate it windows 2003 64 bit. As there is no inplace OS upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit in windows 2003, so we are evicting passive node from cluster & reinstall the OS with x64 bit & then configure a new single node cluster. After configuring a new cluster we have to bring cluster groups offline from 1st cluster & then unpresent all the LUNs & map it to new cluster & then manually create all the cluster resources & bring it online. Once everything is working fine on new cluster then destroy the old cluster & reinstall the OS with 64 bit on second node & add that node to new cluster. I would like to know is there any tool / way we can use to migrate just the resource from one cluster to another cluster apart from manually creating a resources in cluster in windows 2003.
May 2nd, 2012 2:31am

post here in the cluster forums http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/winserverClustering/threadshttp://www.arabitpro.com
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2012 2:38am

Hi, Comparison of Windows Server 2003 Editions http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc758523(v=ws.10).aspx How to migrate 32 bit to 64 bit cluster? http://forums.techarena.in/windows-server-help/1061314.htm Thanks & Best Regards,Mohammed Imtiyaz Ali
May 2nd, 2012 2:39am

Hi, We got a requirement to migrate a windows 2003 32 bit cluster to windows 2003 x64 bit cluster. We suggested to go for windows 2008 cluster to use migration wizard, but customer needs it on Windows 2003 x64 bit. It's a File share cluster. We planned to do it in below method. Could you please check and suggest is the only way we have or any easy alternate methods..??? Thanks! Sunil Kumar D There is a customer requirement of migrating a 2 node windows 2003 32 bit cluster to a windows 2003 64 bit cluster with same hardware & SAN storage. It hosts file shares with approx 15 TB of data. It can be easily migrated to windows 2008 cluster as we have cluster migration wizard, but here customer requirement is to migrate it windows 2003 64 bit. As there is no inplace OS upgrade from 32 bit to 64 bit in windows 2003, so we are evicting passive node from cluster & reinstall the OS with x64 bit & then configure a new single node cluster. After configuring a new cluster we have to bring cluster groups offline from 1st cluster & then unpresent all the LUNs & map it to new cluster & then manually create all the cluster resources & bring it online. Once everything is working fine on new cluster then destroy the old cluster & reinstall the OS with 64 bit on second node & add that node to new cluster. I would like to know is there any tool / way we can use to migrate just the resource from one cluster to another cluster apart from manually creating a resources in cluster in windows 2003. Hi Sunil, As far as I know, there is NO migration tool available for WS 2003 to migrate resources from one cluster to another. Sorry to say this, manual resource creation is the option at present. As far as cluster migration plan is concerned, it looks good. If you need second opinion, you can post this in High Availability (Clustering) forum as suggested above.A UNIVERSE without WINDOWS is CHAOS ! This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees and confers no rights. About Me ?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
May 2nd, 2012 2:50am

Thanks Santhosh! Let me post in HA forum.
May 2nd, 2012 9:07am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics