Could not remove RD virtualization host from the pool

Hello All,

We are testing Windows Server 2012 VDI and got in situation that I could consider unreliable. Hope there is a quick fix to it ...

The case is:

Three servers 2012 installed

Remote Desktop Services roles instaled on Server1 using standard deployment wizard - Virtual machine-based desktop deployment.

RD Connection broker is Server1.

Server2 and Server3 added to the deployment afterwrds. Server2 is Hyper-V server 2012.

The system worked for sometime. No problem.

The issue - Server2 has been destroyed before removing it from virtualization host collection.

Now it is not possible to remove the Server2 name from the virtualization host collection.

After "Remove RD Virtualization host servers" the result is

"Failed.

Could not remove the configuration.
Object reference not set to an instance of an object."

Any ideas how to remove the destroyed virtualization host from the collection? 

October 25th, 2012 1:17pm

Hi,

You need to delete the corresponding registry manually on the RDCB. 

Locate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE-SOFTWARE-Microsoft-windows NT-Currentversion-Terminal server

You need to delete the virtualization host collection under centralpublishedresources-PublishedFarms and delete RDVH under session broker-virtualdesktopservers.

Important This section, method, or task contains steps that tell you how to modify the registry. However, serious problems might occur if you modify the registry incorrectly. Therefore, make sure that you follow these steps carefully. For added protection, back up the registry before you modify it. Then, you can restore the registry if a problem occurs. For more information about how to back up and restore the registry, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756 ) How to back up and restore the registry in Windows.

regards,

Clarence

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
October 30th, 2012 7:03am

Thank you for your Input Clarence,

It cleans the obsolete collections that otherwise are visible in the web interface (servername/RDWeb) but does not solve the problem described in my first post - removing obsolete virtualization host from the servers pool.

November 1st, 2012 5:39am

Hi there

I have a 2012 RDS deployed to two servers, the second server is having difficulty (reading policies, giving users a second login when balanced) after a previous reload. I want to remove RD host functions from the server, disjoin it from the domain and then rejoin the domain before adding it as a RD host again. The RD connection broker is working perfectly.

I have removed the the offending RDH from the collection, but when I try to remove it via the Remote Desktop Services Server Manager plugin, I get the same error as mminchev (this is a live environment)

The editing of the registry seems a bit dangerous as I only have the one collection with live logged in users.

March 20th, 2013 7:55am

mminchev, I believe that I have fixed this issue as exactly the same thing happened to me.

Please see here: http://dave.harris.net/unable-to-remove-deleted-session-hosts-from-rds2012-deployment/

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dave.

June 13th, 2013 11:44am

Thank you Dave,

That is a solution, yes.

However, betted MS to provide fix to handle such cases. Mixing with the internal database is not safe, I think.

June 13th, 2013 12:28pm

mminchev, I believe that I have fixed this issue as exactly the same thing happened to me.

Please see here: http://dave.harris.net/unable-to-remove-deleted-session-hosts-from-rds2012-deployment/

Good luck!

Cheers,

Dave.

THX a lot !!!

But the Adress has changed: http://dave.harris.uno/unable-to-remove-deleted-session-hosts-from-rds2012-deployment/

May 8th, 2014 12:41pm

Got exactly the same problem with a 2012R2 RDS deployment, MS now have a KB (KB 2925854) which says "call us, do not edit the internal database" however they don't have a fix & the MS engineer is currently....

editing the internal Database..

June 20th, 2014 11:14am

Got exactly the same problem with a 2012R2 RDS deployment, MS now have a KB (KB 2925854) which says "call us, do not edit the internal database" however they don't have a fix & the MS engineer is currently....

editing the internal Database..

MS internal answer:

Install SQL Management Studio 2012 and run the following commands after connecting to the pipe: \\.\pipe\MICROSOFT##WID\tsql\query to verify the presence of the server in the WID:

select * from rds.deploymentsetting where name like 'FQDN_of_dead_serverl%'

select * from rds.rolerdvh

select * from rds.server where name like 'FQDN_of_dead_serverl%'

select * from rds.environment where name like 'FQDN_of_dead_serverl%'

select * from rds.environment where name like 'FQDN_of_dead_server%'

then run the commands to delete the instance of the server from the WID:

delete from rds.deploymentsetting where name like 'FQDN_of_dead_server%'

delete from rds.rolerdvh where ServerID=2

delete from rds.server where name like 'FQDN_of_dead_server%'

obviously change the SQL search string to be the appropriate name..

• Proposed as answer by Zbynek Hora Sunday, December 21, 2014 12:31 PM
June 20th, 2014 11:40am

select * from rds.rolerdvh
Why does this command seem to be incomplete? All the others say "where name like 'name%'. I try to finish the command with 'where name like fqdn_of_dead_server%' but then the query says the 'name' part is invalid. Without the 'where name like' part, the query is blank
August 5th, 2015 9:20pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics