Corrupt email attachments on incoming mail
Hello, Since the 15 Sept 2011 90% of email attachments (pdf's, jpegs, office documents etc) received are reporting corrupt errors and cannot be opened. We have a small office network with Windows 2008 Dell server controlling DHCP, routing and remote access and file services etc. All pc's and Mac's access web etc through the server. We are using outlook, entourage and Mac mail and all are receiving corrupted mail. If I bypass the server and connect a PC directly to our router all mail received is perfect so server would appear to be at fault. I have disabled anti-virus, firewall, file backup software etc on the server but no change. I have un-installed and re-installed routing and remote access but no change. All sent emails with attachments are fine. The only event noted on the 15 Sept was windows update downloaded 2008 server updates but did not install (this is how it is setup). I did install and un-install these updates but no change. Anybody any ideas - all help would be much appreciated. Martin
September 22nd, 2011 1:53pm

Hi, Could you please let me know more detailed information? Even I don’t know the version of the server you are using now. Since bypass the server and connect a PC directly to the router, emails could be received properly. So please let me know the functions and purpose to have the server here. At the same time, please post the original error message you have received on the client side. It’s vital to all of us to get further analysis. You could look into the application logging file and IIS logging file to verify whether there are some related errors or warnings recorded. Regards, JamesPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 27th, 2011 12:37pm

Hello James, Thanks for reply. There are 4 companies sharing our building network infrastructure so our server acts to firewall and isolate our network segment from the rest. It is setup primarily as a Raid file server and network backup system. The server has two NIC's installed - one for internal network and one for external web access through router. DHCP, routing and remote access and file services are enabled for our network. We have no exchange server on site, not enough clients to merit. All emails are accessed directly from isp mail server externally, through our server, to each internal client. I have checked and replaced all cables but no change. I have installed and configured a third NIC (in both positions)but no change. Everything else works fine i.e web access/ftp/outgoing mail/server file sharing etc except incoming mail attachments are corrupt (some get through ok). I have examined the corrupt files and they are only a few bytes smaller than the original good files. I used a network scanner to view activity on both NIC's. It appears that some information is lost at the very end of the email attachment transfer. I hope this helps. thanks for all replies Martin
September 28th, 2011 12:18pm

I have just posted a similar problem with receiving corrupted attachments. Did you ever receive a solution?
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 10th, 2012 12:27pm

Hello D3CAT, After many days and exhaustive checks to all network configurations I eventually narrowed it down to our router. I had tried replacing the router earlier in the fault finding but because it was of a similar type it did not solve the problem, so I thought our original router was ok It turned out that our ISP had run software updates on their Linux web and mail servers on the day our mail attachments started corrupting. Our dated router lost correct communication to the servers. I purchased a new up to date Router, installed and configured all settings and our mail attachment problem was solved straight away. I hope this helps in some way - Good Luck. Thanks, Martin
March 11th, 2012 6:18am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics