Corrupt Roaming profiles Windows Server 2003
We are running windows server 2003 and XP Pro on over 1200 workstations and 3500 end users. The roaming profiles are stored on only one of our file servers. We run log in scripts to map the Home directory, share drive, set personal setting, and connect to email. There are a few issues that think may play a part in this issue. I think that maybe there are too many profiles on this server and it is being overwhelmed. I think that our AV (Symantec) may be causing some issues. I believe it to be a problem with the local default user and cached profiles being saved locally. The error that the profiles have is usually "resetting compose wallpaper" Which is part of the login script but normally only stays up briefly. Compose is our supposed "security blanket" that in theory is supposed to work with windows and make it more secure. We have UPH clean on all the workstations but it is pretty worthless. When i loaded the NTSUER.DAT hive i noticed that the profiles SID was missing and the hive cannot be edited. There are two specific event that I am seeing 1517 Warning (Windows saved user %DomainName%\mitchepl registry while an application or service was still using the registry during log off. The memory used by the user's registry has not been freed. The registry will be unloaded when it is no longer in use. ) This is often caused by services running as a user account, try configuring the services to run in either the LocalService or NetworkService account. And 1500 Error (Windows cannot log you on because your profile cannot be loaded. Check that you are connected to the network, or that your network is functioning correctly. If this problem persists, contact your network administrator. DETAIL - The system cannot find the file specified.) Any advice would be awesome thanks in advance
April 5th, 2011 9:31pm

Hello, I assume that you don't have any network issues, that your script has been successfully tested ... I would create a DFS that distributes your script on diff. servers. If you consider it to heavy to set up just for a logon script, you can copy your script on the replicated Dc partition with yoour gpo. Let me know if it helps. BR.RipPle
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 6th, 2011 12:06am

Yes the logon scripts work fine it's just that when users log off the NTUSER.DAT file is kept active and does not fully unload at the time of logoff. I think it may be symantec av's local scans that are doing this. I excluded these files from the local scans not the profile server so the file still gets scanned. As far as the DFS I will suggest this it may help. I have been troubleshooting with a "help-desk tech" over e-mail who says that speed and duplex mismatching between the switch and workstation. However I went to ten different computers that frequently get corrupt profiles and they are all set to 100 mbps full on the workstation and switch. No mismatch. Could this cause this problem that i am getting? thanks
April 6th, 2011 12:56am

Did you checked ts Kb article? http://support.microsoft.com/kb/837115 RipPle
April 6th, 2011 1:13am

Yes i was just looking for some other possible solutions. I think i may have figured it out I am actually posting just in case my idea about Symantec AV doesn't work i will have something to fall back on and continue troubleshooting without skipping a beat. I really appreciate your help.
April 6th, 2011 1:55am

My pleasure, let me know about the results ;-)RipPle
April 6th, 2011 2:10am

Will do it may be a couple of days though
April 6th, 2011 2:14am

Hi, Any progress on the issue? I noticed that you said “Corrupt Roaming profiles…”, please describe the symptom more detail. If any error is received during logon and logoff, please write down the exact message here for research. For the error 1500 in event log, please verify whether the problematic user has proper permission on the profile files on file server. Did the user receive any error during logon? After the logon failure, did the user log on with cached local profile or temporary profile? If your suspect the issue is related to Symantec, please try to disable or show down Symantec as a test. You can also try Clean Boot to narrow down the cause: 1. Click "Start", go to "Run", and type "msconfig" in the open box to start the System Configuration Utility. 2. Click the "Services" tab, check the "Hide All Microsoft Services" box and click Disable All (if it is not gray). 3. Click the "Startup" tab, click "Disable All" and click "OK". 4. Restart your computer. If the "System Configuration Utility" window appears, please check the box and click "OK". What is the result in this mode? You said that “I believe it to be a problem with the local default user and cached profiles being saved locally”, any clues? Please check whether the local default user folder is there and the directory is correct. You can also delete the local cached copy as a test. If the issue persists, the UserEnv log will be helpful. Refer to: a. Click "Start", click "Run", type "regedit" (without quote) and press OK. b. Locate the following key: HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon c. Create the following value under the Winlogon key: Value Name: UserEnvDebugLevel Value Type: REG_DWORD Value Data: 10002 (Hexadecimal) For more information about Userenv log, please refer to the following article: How to enable user environment debug logging in retail builds of Windows http://support.microsoft.com/?id=221833 Please restart the client to reproduce the problem. The log file is written to the %Systemroot%\Debug\UserMode\Userenv.log file. If the Userenv.log exists and is greater than 300 KB, the existing file will be renamed to Userenv.bak, and a new log file created. Please send both the Userenv.log and Userenv.bak (If it exists) files to me. If any error is showed in the log, you can paste the error here for research. Thanks. NinaPlease remember to click Mark as Answer on the post that helps you, and to click Unmark as Answer if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread.
April 8th, 2011 9:52am

Josefah.... Are you still having these problems? Because it is also plaguing my Compose 3.0.x system.. so much so that I find myself "fixing" profiles many times in a day. Could you send me an email to edwin.e.nieves@gmail.com or nievesee@kentucky-gold.navy.mil
June 27th, 2011 8:29pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics