Core vs. Full
Im curious how many have installed core service roles vs. deploying the full installation for their infrastructure services like dhcp, print servers, dc's and dns.I have been experimenting with core and I am not finding it as advantageous as I would have expected. As such I am curious how many others are taking advantage of this in their production environments.
March 18th, 2008 7:00pm

Hi, Many of use deployed Server Core for the following reasons : The Server Core installation option of Windows Server 2008 provides the following benefits: Reduced maintenance - Because the Server Core installation option installs only what is required to have a manageable server for the AD DS, AD LDS, DHCP Server, DNS Server, File Services, Print Services, and Streaming Media Services roles, less maintenance is required than on a full installation of Windows Server 2008. Reduced attack surface - Because Server Core installations are minimal, there are fewer applications running on the server, which decreases the attack surface. Reduced management - Because fewer applications and services are installed on a server running the Server Core installation, there is less to manage. Less disk space required - A Server Core installation requires only about 1 gigabyte (GB) of disk space to install and approximately 2 GB for operations after the installation. Lower risk of bugs - Reducing the amount of code can help reduce the amount of bugs. HTH, Tarek _____________________________Tarek Majdalani Computer Engineer, CIW, MCSA: Security 2000/2003, TS: Windows Vista MVP -- ISA Firewalls Website : http://www.elmajdal.net/Win2k8
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 18th, 2008 7:14pm

It would be so much better if MS went full circle back to the DOS days and simply made a true, 100% COMMAND LINE INTERFACE operating system.Then you could slap whatever GUI shell that you want/need on top of the CLI as an OPTIONAL component. Now THAT'S increased efficiency/reduced attack surface."Server Core" is like a half-assed version of this. And you can see that people WANT a true CLI OS based on how much interest there is in PowerShell and Server Core. Yet MS fails once again.Hmm, I wonder if there is a true CLI OS...... hmmmmm...... *cough-Linux-cough*
March 18th, 2008 11:04pm

*cough* MinWin *cough* Microsoft isn't there yet, although Server Core is agreat step ahead. We just need a little more patience...
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
March 19th, 2008 2:03am

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics