Core to Gui patched source files
I have started with a new company and the previous sys admin was obviously a big fan of core installs. I have previously used core installs but have always performed a full gui install first and then after configuring the machine I would convert it to core. This meant that all my servers had the full list of binaries and remained patched so the core to gui process always worked. It looks like this was not done in my new environment and the servers have been patched so I am unable to install the gui with the un-patched source files. I have read up on the process for patching the source files that I have mounted but this seems very involved. I ran a 'wmic  /output:c:\text.txt qfe list' and there are over 100 patches applied to this server. Do I really need to download all of the patches and apply them to my source files? This seems like an incredibly time consuming process.
September 3rd, 2015 9:25pm

Just as a quick edition to this we have 20+ core installs including DC's and hyperV hosts both physical and virtual so rebuilding them is not an option that I want to take.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 4th, 2015 12:40am

The best practice is to install RSAT tools on workstation or member server computer (Windows 7 / 8.1 / 2008 R2 / 2012 R2 x64) and manage servers from there. It applies to Exchange, System Center products, SQL servers and so on. What exact challenge do you have with this approach?
September 4th, 2015 7:32am

Nothing really specific but it is just making it hard to familiarize myself with the network. It seems that there are lots of black holes that nobody knows much about and just having a gui makes life easier. As an example there is a remote site that has a storage box (DAS) on the network. No record of an IP for or nor any documentation of how it is configured. Apparently it was installed to act as file storage to allow the old 2003 box to be retired but then they did not have a backup solution for the new DAS so it has not been used. One guy suggested that the previous admin probably installed the Dell management software into the DC's but then when I log onto any server on the site they are all core. Looking at the dell software you run it on the network and is will 'discover' the storage device but I don't have anything local to run it on. 
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 6th, 2015 7:54pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics