Copying User Data between Servers - advice
Hi folks, This weekend I need to move about 300Gb of data from one server (Server 2003) to another server (Server 2008), same domain. This data is user file storage. I've done this before with much smaller amounts of data, and it sometimes fails on a particular folder because someone has the file open, or went home for the weekend and left a file open by mistake. Also, I just did this by drag/drop from one share to another. Any advice on how best to do this for 300Gb of data? I will send out notes to users saying I'm doing this over the weekend, but it won't matter, they will still log in and access files. Is there a better way than drag/drop? Thanks, Mike
July 28th, 2010 9:23pm

If you are worried that the users let their folders open and still access the server even if you perform a transfer, disconnect the first server (server 2003) from your network then connect it to the second server (I mean a network that is constituted only by the two servers: no other computer is able to connect to them). After that, perform your transfer and you are sure that you transfer will be OK. Please remember to click “Mark as Answer” on the post that helps you, and to click “Unmark as Answer” if a marked post does not actually answer your question. This can be beneficial to other community members reading the thread. Best regards.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2010 9:46pm

Malek, I hadn't thought of isolating the two machines, but that's not a bad idea. Thanks, Mike
July 28th, 2010 10:03pm

You're always welcome. Best regards.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 28th, 2010 11:28pm

Hi, I'd recommend looking at the robocopy and richcopy utilities as well. These will not cause the entire copy to fail if a single file is inaccessible and a report is generated for failed files. -- Mike Burr
July 29th, 2010 5:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics