Copy files through the network
Hi, I'm doing data migration for user profile. Below is my situation. I have Windows Server 2008 for data storage, and end user computer running Windows XP as the source of data transfer. This user is connecting through VPN. What did I do is to map user computer as drive X: and dump all his data/files in drive Z: on my server. But since he's connecting using VPN, we have encountered several connectivity issue whereby his connection keep dropping. And I have to start copying the file again and again, and if it prompted that there is existing file exist, I have to click Yes, Allow, Overwrite etc. Other than setting up FTP server on his machine (which is restricted in my org), what other option do I have to automate this process (like just one click Copy it will automatically copy all files and folders and if the file/folder exist it will just skip them) ?. Not sure about xcopy advanced option have this but I just familiar with xcopy /s /e is there's any other switches I can use for it to skip existing files automatically? Or any useful program to use for this kind of purpose? Many thanks in advanced for any advice. regards, ---Packie
February 22nd, 2011 6:11pm

Use robocopy instead of copying via GUI. robocopy has many useful switches you can read about them via robocopy /? example: robocopy X:\Users\Username Z:\Users\Username *.* /COPYALL /E /ZB /R:10 /W:30With kind regards Krystian Zieja http://www.projectnenvision.com Follow me on twitter My Blog
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 22nd, 2011 7:53pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics