Copy big file and then network lose

Hi All,

I running 4 Windows 2012 R2 server in DELL VRTX.

Server 1 is running as File sharing server.

Server 2 and 3 is running HyperV cluster.

Server 4 is standalone server for testing.

My trouble is when I logon server 4 and copy big file( a iso around 4G) from Server 1 to Server 4, sometimes server 4 network connection will lost. No any error log found in system event log.

Same action in Server 2 and 3 are fine, no issue on them.

I try to monitor in the switch, switch show the network port is healthy and it can send the package to server 4 but no respond. It seems that the server 4 can't receive any package from the network.

I have read http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/failure-to-copy-large-files-across-a-gigabit/6343e929-e089-4c56-b86c-216c4202e138 and try to turn off the autotuninglevel.

The problem really gone, now is my question, why Server 4 has this problem? And Why turn off the autotuninglevel can fix the problem?

In this situation, should i also turn off the autotuninglevel in other server?

I really want to know the root course for this problem.

September 10th, 2015 5:46am

Do you have the same network cards in every system?  Are the network device drivers the same version on all systems?

Here are the values for the autotuninglevel

autotuninglevel            

Optional. Specifies one of the following values:
disabled: Fix the receive window at its default value.
highlyrestricted: Allow the receive window to grow beyond its default value, but do so very conservatively.
restricted: Allow the receive window to grow beyond its default value, but limit such growth in some scenarios.
normal: Allow the receive window to grow to accommodate almost all scenarios.
experimental: Allow the receive window to grow to accommodate extreme scenarios. WARNING: This can dramatically degrade performance in common scenarios and should only be used for research purposes.

It is pretty hard to diagnose remotely, but if you do have different driver versions, it could simply be that the driver is not handling packets correctly.

Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
September 10th, 2015 9:27am

same hardware, same driver, same firmware (Actually, i try to upgrade driver/firmware already) but issue same.

only turn off the autotuninglevel can fix the problem.

it so strange right?

September 10th, 2015 9:35pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics