Converting hard drive type from basic to dynamic
I have a server running windows 2003 server OS (DNS, DHCP, AD) on Disk 0. Current volume type is basic. Would like to convert the type from basic to dynamic and, using another hard drive (Disk 1) on the system which is already specified as dynamic, create a mirror of Disk 0 on Disk 1. Computer Management Console shows Disk 0 as two partitions, one of size 39MB not formatted and no drive letter assigned and one of 465.71 GB drive letter C: NTFS. Disk 1 as one partition 465.75 GB NTFS. Can I convert from basic to dynamic without damaging the existing 2003 Server OS and the data? Will it then be possible to create the mirror and if so, what are the steps?
April 11th, 2011 4:48pm

Can I convert from basic to dynamic without damaging the existing 2003 Server OS and the data? Yes, right click the Disk 0 grey label and select Convert to Dynamic Disk Will it then be possible to create the mirror and if so, what are the steps? You should search for Mirror in the Windows 2003 Help and Support to get detailed instructions and all the limitations. Here are the highlights from that help. Open Computer Management (Local). In the console tree, click Disk Management. Right-click the system or boot volume and click Add Mirror. In the Add Mirror dialog box, select an unallocated dynamic disk with enough free space to mirror the system or boot volume and click Add Mirror. Disk Management resynchronizes both disks. When resynchronization is complete, the system or boot volume is a fault-tolerant mirrored volume.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 11th, 2011 5:16pm

Yes, you can convert basic disk to dynamic disk, actually, it is very simple to accomplish and if you want, you can get the detail tutorial for reference. For your another question about create mirrored volume, you also can read the article about create dynamic volume.
April 11th, 2011 10:35pm

Thanks all for your prompt replies CaliKevin
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
April 12th, 2011 4:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics