Convert Windows Server 2008 Server from MAC to KMS
Hello, I have a KMS environment setup on a Windows Server 2008 x64 DataCenter server (RTM). I have the count up to 5 and other servers can successfully activate via KMS. However, i have one server that was activated via mac and i am trying to move it to KMS. I ran slgmr.vbs -upk and sucessfully removed the Product Key. However if i try to run slmgr.vbs -ipk xxxx-xxxx-xxxx-xxxxx-xxxx (key taken from sources\pid.txt on the windows server 2008 ISO) it will not take the key, therefore i can't get the server in a state to accept KMS. I have also tried to keys listed in the Volume Activate 2.0 guide,but those keys appear to be BETA keys and do not work. Does anyone know how i can resolve this issue? Thanks.
February 23rd, 2008 2:31am

Was the one that is giving you trouble installed as a full retail product ISO or from a volume license ISO? If it was full retail, they basically can only be installed with a MAK. I assume the others that are activating properly were installed from volume licensing media? If that one was installed with a 'retail' installation, you might have to contact the activation center. I would think that you could change, but I don't know how the licensing reads for trying to change media from retail to volume. tgc
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
February 23rd, 2008 3:44am

Thanks for reply! No, it is not a retail ISO, it is the volume license one. It is the same ISO i used for other servers that are sucessfully using KMS. The problem is that in converting from MAC back to KMS (i started with KMS client, changed it to MAC, and now i can't get back to KMS client). In Vista all i had to do is run slmgr.vbs -upk, slmgr.vbs -ipk<Product code from sources\pid.txt from vista dvd>, slmgr.vbs -ato. and i was good to go. The problem is the key in the pid.txt file on the volume license ISO is not working right for Windows Server 2008 to convert back to KMS (rejects the key). Another way this issue occurs is if you have a KMS host that you wanted to to convert to a KMS client, it won't take the KMS client key (sources\pid.txt file in the ISO). Thanks for any assistance!
February 23rd, 2008 5:56am

Hello, Same process should work to convert back to KMS client machine on Windows Server. Are you still having this issue? Send me email with the product key from the PID.txt that you are using. darrellg@online.microsoft.com Remove the online from the email address above before sending. Thanks,Darrell Gorter[MSFT] This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties, and confers no rights
March 7th, 2008 11:34pm

Thanks for the reply Darrell! I have sent you this info via e-mail.
March 10th, 2008 5:34pm

I am having a similar problem with code from pid.txt - system in question was activated using kms key. Thanks Peter
March 22nd, 2008 7:54pm

I had the same problem as you do. I solved it by following the instructions on page 19in the "Volume Activation 2.0 Deployment Guide.doc". It includes default KMS Client Setup Keys that you can use to convert the server to a KMS client. Thanks Martin
May 29th, 2008 12:06pm

Thanks for the link/info. It is a newer version since the time of the original problem (which contains new keys that work). Thanks!
May 29th, 2008 3:22pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics