Convert Windows Server 2003 R2 32bit Standard Retail Disc to System Builder OEM.
I need to reinstall the OS onto a new RAID5 array. I originally installed the OS years ago. I can't find my OEM disc to my OEM CD key. I tried ordering a replacement disc from Microsoft but I was later informed that they no longer carry them in stock. I tried using a retail disc but it won't accept the System Builder OEM key. Is there anyway I can get a copy of system builder OEM disc? Is there a way I can modify the retail disc to a system builder OEM disc so that it accepts my key? I've found information on converting discs to manufacturer OEM but I need a system builder OEM.
July 14th, 2011 1:00pm

Hello, contact the vendor where the OEM is from, they are responsible. You cannot use another media to reinstall.Best regards Meinolf Weber Disclaimer: This posting is provided "AS IS" with no warranties or guarantees , and confers no rights.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 14th, 2011 3:06pm

The CDs come in three variants; retail, OEM and volume. If you have an OEM key, any OEM CD should work. Someone can feel free to correct me, but I'm pretty sure this is right. The other option is to use a volume media and key if you have one. That is legal under most circumstances and referred to by Microsoft as "Reimaging Rights". Of course if you don't have a volume key, that doesn't help.C Shane Cribbs http://www.georgiatechnologies.com
July 14th, 2011 3:36pm

From my own experience with Server 2003, I see there are different flavors of OEM discs. I tried using a manufacturer OEM disc and it would not work at all as soon as the OS boots and sees that the system does not match the manufacturer of the disc. Microsoft used to resupply system builder OEM discs when the OEM vendor was no longer in business, but discontinued this for Server 2003 at the end of 2009. If you have no backup copy of your install disc, you're out of luck. I've spent the past day turning the office upside down searching for this disc. It's infuriating not knowing where this disc is. I'm going to continue searching for a replacement disc. Someone has to have a copy that will work with my product key. Without being able to reinstall the OS from the install disc, I'm going to look into trying to migrate the existing installation from a Raid1 to a Raid5 but I'm not sure how feasible this is. My other option is to purchase Server 2008 and downgrade it to Server 2003. I'm trying to keep my cost down and I've already put too much into upgrading the hardware. I learned my lesson. Make backups of your install discs and put them in a secure location.
Free Windows Admin Tool Kit Click here and download it now
July 16th, 2011 4:57pm

This topic is archived. No further replies will be accepted.

Other recent topics Other recent topics